Remember chocolate-covered bacon?
  Re: (...)
Well, here's an interesting recipe from the latest email newsletter from Plate magazine:

MILK CHOCOLATE BACON TART
Executive Pastry Chef Nancy Olson
Gramercy Tavern - New York City, NY, USA

Yield: 12 servings
Menu Price: $8.00; Food Cost/Serving: 20%

Ingredients:
  • 3 Oz. Milk
  • 3 Oz Cream
  • 20 g Bacon, cooked, drained of excess fat
  • 2 Oz Semisweet chocolate, 55%, melted, hot
  • 6 Oz Milk chocolate, 38%, melted, hot
  • 2 Oz Butter, very soft
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Egg yolk
  • 3/4 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 12 Pâte sucrée tart shells, 2 1/2-inches
  • Crème fraîche, whipped, as needed
  • Bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled, as needed
  • Maldon sea salt, as needed
Instructions:
  1. Bring milk, cream and bacon to a boil. Cover and infuse 5 minutes. Strain through chinois, pressing on bacon to extract flavors. Discard bacon. Add water as needed to yield 6 ounces.
  2. Return infusion to heat just until hot. Slowly temper infusion into chocolate. Stir in butter gently, without introducing air. Whisk eggs and yolk with vanilla, then carefully combine with chocolate mixture. Let rest to let air bubbles out.
  3. Spoon filling into 12 small pre-baked pâte sucrée tart shells. Allow tarts to rest 5 minutes to allow any air bubbles to escape, for an incredibly smooth texture. Bake tarts in an oven heated to 275 degrees F for about 6 minutes.
  4. Remove tarts from oven (ganache will be very soft and liquidy in center), then cool for 1 hour to set.
  5. Serve tarts topped with whipped crème fraîche, crumbled crisp bacon, and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Remember chocolate-covered bacon? by labradors (Well, here's an inte...)
I saw that and I can't believe I didn't save it - think I "dessert baconed" out last week! But, maybe later.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Remember chocolate-covered bacon? by cjs (I saw that and I can...)
While we enjoyed the Bacon Sauce from last week, I'm not sure I could mess with my chocolate like that. HMMMM? I'll think about it. Maybe I'll let Jean be the guinea pig and go from there....or you Labs...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.