Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling
  Re: (...)
This is what I made for dinner tonight, decided to play, with the limited time I had in the kitchen. I know a lot of us are ginger cookie fans, and this one, from Fine Cooking #99, is excellent. My yield was 20 instead of 30, and I will probably halve again the filling. These are great!

Ginger Spice Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling

If you make these a day ahead of time, the cookies will soften a bit, and the flavors will mingle nicely. Fresh spices are key.Yields about thirty sandwich cookies.

For the cookies

9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
6 oz. (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar; more for rolling
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the lemon cream:
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest (from 1 medium lemon)
6 oz. (1-1/2 cups) confectioners’ sugar

Make the cookies:
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line three baking sheets with parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated, about 1 minute. Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the flour mixture, and mix until just incorporated, about 1 minute. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Put about 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl. Using your hands, roll teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in sugar and arrange them about 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies slightly. Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies feel dry to the touch and are beginning to firm up (they’ll still feel soft inside), 10 to 14 minutes. Cool completely on racks.
Make the lemon cream:
With a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese and lemon zest in a medium bowl until smooth. Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and continue to mix until smooth.
Assemble the cookies:
Drop about 1 tsp. of the lemon cream in the center of a cookie, top with another cookie, and gently press them. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Fine Cooking #99 p 68

I think the cardoman makes a huge difference, what a bright, summery cookie!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by pjcooks (This is what I made ...)
Thanks for posting this recipe PJ! I will have the need for such a cookie next month, and am going to mark it for then.

And I'll be happy to use some of the cardamom which I bought to make Easter rolls with.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by foodfiend (Thanks for posting t...)
Me too Vicci. If they taste as good as they sound, whoa boy, I'm salivating already. Thanks PJ!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by bjcotton (Me too Vicci. If th...)
Moving past this post with lightning speed! I've been stuck on my weight for 3 weeks, then lost 2 last week and then .6 # this week. These cookies are not in my program for now! Darn.
  Re: Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by HomeCulinarian (Moving past this pos...)
Sometimes it's so hard, isn't it Jeanette? Do I read? do I skip?

These do sound good - hmmmm, maybe for our pre-4th party.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by HomeCulinarian (Moving past this pos...)
Quote:

Moving past this post with lightning speed! I've been stuck on my weight for 3 weeks, then lost 2 last week and then .6 # this week. These cookies are not in my program for now! Darn.

Same here. But, they do sound really, really good. Think I'll save this for a special occasion down the road.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I love cardamon. Thanks, PJ.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Ya know Jeannette, I weighed 192, then 142, now 171. I really don't care what I weigh except for that darned dunlap disease...that bugs me!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy