Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions!
  Re: (...)
I received a small box of Meyer lemons today (I'm not sure why, maybe because of my blog? For a review? I have sent an e-mail to the orchard to ask...).

Because they cost so much here in PA, I have never bought them. I want to make something very special from the juice, but am at a loss. Dessert? Main course? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by foodfiend (I received a small b...)
As much as I try to avoid desserts, that would have to be a lemon meringue pie, you lucky, lucky girl! Enjoy!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by Mare749 (As much as I try to ...)
I'm curious to know what's special about Meyer lemons... There are so many great lemon recipes, you could preserve them, make a tart, piccata, etc...
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by HomeCulinarian (I'm curious to know ...)
Vicci, the first thing that popped into my mind is an ice cream I made a couple years ago that was just outstanding - I think most folks on 'the other' forum made it also! It came from a magazine 4-5 years ago.

LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Makes ~ 3 1/2 cups

4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka, optional (uhhhhh, I used...)
1/2 tsp. Cobasan, optional (did not use)

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.

The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.
Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.

In a med. bowl, combine the cream & milk. Whisk in the remaining sugar till dissolved. Whisk this mixture into the curd. Cover tightly & refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or till well chilled.

Stir in the opt. vodka & Cobasan. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream to ripen for at least 2 hours before serving. It it has been held longer and is very hard, allow it to sit refrigerated or at room temp. till softened and creamy.

-----

My Meyer lemon tree died (bad, bad winter up here) before I could try this one from Food & Wine magazine, but I'm planning to try it as soon as another trip down south to get some.
Bottarga = Sometimes called the poor man's caviar, botargo is the roe pouch of tuna or grey mullet, or sometimes swordfish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meyer Lemon Gnocchi

1 pound baking potatoes -- peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
3 large egg yolks
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons -- preferably Meyer lemons
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- cut into pieces and chilled
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt
Snipped chives -- for garnish
Bottarga -- for garnish (optional)

In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pan; shake over moderately high heat until dry.

Working over a large rimmed baking sheet, rice the hot potatoes in an even layer. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the salt and pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes and stir gently just until a dough forms.

Gently roll the dough into four 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Using a sharp knife, cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll each piece against the tines of a fork to make ridges. Transfer the gnocchi to the baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the 1 stick of butter, a few pieces at a time, until the sauce is creamy. Warm the sauce on low heat if necessary. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the gnocchi until they rise to the surface, then cook them for 1 minute longer. Gently drain the gnocchi, toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet until cool.

In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add half of the gnocchi and cook in a single layer over high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and gnocchi.

Reheat the sauce; pour it over the gnocchi and fold gently with a rubber spatula until they are evenly coated.

Transfer to a platter and garnish with the chives. Grate the bottarga on top, if desired. Serve.

NOTES : For supertender gnocchi, Steve Corry is careful not to overwork the dough. After draining the gnocchi, he sautés them until they're slightly crispy, then tosses them with the lemony sauce. Instead of sprinkling the gnocchi with Parmesan cheese, Corry likes to shave bottarga-dried and salted gray mullet roe-over the top, but they're also delicious without it.

-----

HC, Meyer lemons are the best of best lemons - "they" say it is a cross between a lemon and an orange, just a wonderful flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by cjs (Vicci, the first thi...)
I just found out that my friend Jenni sent them to me! But they used her despised "real name" on the gift card, and no other information about who bought them, so I was in the dark for a bit.

Every suggestion sounds great (MaryAnn, do I use just any ol' lemon meringue filling recipe for this?). I noticed that the gnocchi takes mostly the zest of the lemon, and the ice cream, mostly the juice. So I won't be wasting a bit of either!

More suggestions? The packing slip said 6 lemons, but I received 7! And, should I refrigerate? I can use those "green bags", too (I love those!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by foodfiend (I just found out tha...)
Yes, I would use any reliable cookbook source. I have a Betty recipe in my mastercook if you need it. That's what I use. Or, if you want to try something different, here is a pie my mom frequently made when I was growing up.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Chiffon Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 egg yolk -- beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 Tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 cup sugar
4 stiff-beaten egg whites

Combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, fruit juices, and salt. Cook in double boiler until thick, stirring constantly. Add gelatin softened in cold water. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Add fruit peels, cool until partially set.

Gradually add 1/4 sugar to egg whites, beat until glossy and sugar is dissolved; fold into cooled mixture. Pour into baked 8 - inch shell. Chill until firm and serve.

Source:
"Mom's recipes"
-----------------------------------------------------

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by Mare749 (Yes, I would use any...)
Yes, Vicci, keep them in the frig. They will last longer, but should be at room temperature (as I'm sure you know) for better juicing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by cjs (Yes, Vicci, keep the...)
Here's something from the LA Times: 100 things to do with a Meyer lemon
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by labradors (Here's something fro...)
Quote:

Here's something from the LA Times: 100 things to do with a Meyer lemon

I now have 11 things to do with 7 Meyer lemons...
Thanks to everyone!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Need Meyer lemon recipe suggestions! by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You ask...You KNOW you will receive...LOL!

Have fun Vicci! Let us know what was wonderful, and the flops, too, if there are any...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.