dry brining, reverse searing, etc.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (I've received quite ...)
Glad it worked out for you, Laura. What kind of steak did you use?

I don't think this method was meant for a well done steak. I never have understood why people prefer their steaks well done. We used to eat over at a neighbor's house when they were here on weekends. He would go to the butcher and have a dozen or so rib eyes cut...good beef. The first time we ate over there, I couldn't figure out what was taking so long cooking the steaks. Then I went out by the grill where the guys were and found out. He had them cut thin and cooked them in a foil pan in a marinade until they were well done. Blew me away!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (I think I've previou...)
"Place the steak on a cooling rack and into the oven"

Buzz, I am a bit confused on this. I thought you put the steak on an aluminum lined pan. What is the point of the cooling rack?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by Gourmet_Mom (Glad it worked out f...)
We did ribeyes.

Quote:

We used to eat over at a neighbor's house when they were here on weekends.

I couldn't figure out what was taking so long cooking the steaks. Then I went out by the grill where the guys were and found out. He had them cut thin and cooked them in a foil pan in a marinade until they were well done. Blew me away!

That's terrible! I guess that's why you 'used' to eat at the neighbors.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by chef_Tab ("Place the steak on ...)
Quote:

"Place the steak on a cooling rack and into the oven"

Buzz, I am a bit confused on this. I thought you put the steak on an aluminum lined pan. What is the point of the cooling rack?

Theresa, the cooling rack info on the bottom of my original post was a cut and paste from a chef on a knife site I haunt. The way I cooked the meal was as posted. The aluminum foil was nothing more than an aid to cleaning up. Sorry for the confusion.

Buzz
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh, good, I like your way better! Anything to assist in the clean up is welcome. Thanks Buzz!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by chef_Tab (Oh, good, I like you...)
Quote:

That's terrible! I guess that's why you 'used' to eat at the neighbors.

YUP! Well, that and the fact that there's usually them and all their kids and grandkids...about 15 in all. I can't reciprocate that! (Although, at least two of the SILs would pay me to feed them all over here, just to have a real steak...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by Gourmet_Mom ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
An anon was looking at this. I loved this cooking method. If anyone has not tried it, you should. We have done this several times.

I wonder whatever happened to Buzzard...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
(12-15-2013, 11:45 AM)luvnit Wrote: An anon was looking at this. I loved this cooking method. If anyone has not tried it, you should. We have done this several times.

I wonder whatever happened to Buzzard...

I tried this cooking method last night, the steak turned out PERFECT! It was a 48oz, 2 inch thick Tomahawk Rib-eye, I pulled it out of the oven at 120 degrees, then seared it on my grill. So tender and juicy.
Good to know. Will have to try it. Bet that ribeye was delicious! Tongue
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I might try that one of these days.  We are so in love with steaks cooked sous vide and then given a hard sear, it almost sounds like a similar theory.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!