Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
  Re: (...)
Not a healthy dish be any means, but oh my, is this ever a wonderful flavored pasta!
[Image: BSproutsOrrecchiette.jpg]

Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

1/2 cup hazelnuts (2 ounces)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
Salt
1 pound Brussels sprouts -- halved or quartered if large
3/4 pound orecchiette pasta
3 slices thick-cut bacon -- cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let the nuts cool, then coarsely chop them.

In a small saucepan, boil the chicken stock until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes; keep warm.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the Brussels sprouts and pat them dry. Return the water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook until al dente, 12 to 15 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Add the butter to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned and nutty, about 3 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the orecchiette along with the reduced chicken stock and simmer, stirring, until the sauce is slightly absorbed, about 2 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano cheese, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large serving bowl. Garnish with the bacon and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and serve.

The smokiness of the bacon and the earthiness of the nuts in this pasta dish suggest a medium-bodied, Italian-style Sangiovese, such as the 1999 Flora Springs or the 1999 Altamura.

Description:
"This hearty pasta dish is truly perfect in autumn, when Brussels sprouts are at their peak of flavor"

----

And leftovers will be Jacques Pepin's Pasta with fried eggs and cheese - then it's back to healthier food.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by cjs (Not a healthy dish b...)
And my crowd says they don't like them. I don't get it...they love steamed cabbage.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by cjs (Not a healthy dish b...)
Quote:

Description:
"This hearty pasta dish is truly perfect in autumn, when Brussels sprouts are at their peak of flavor"

This would be a truly wonderful dish with broccoli instead of Brussels sprouts.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Oh my, that dish looks amazing. We love brussel sprouts and have them at least once a week. Thanks for posting.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by Mare749 (Oh my, that dish loo...)
Thanks for the idea Labs! It makes sense and my crowd will love that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the idea ...)
I haven't had brussel sprouts since I wasa a kid and my father made me sit at the table until I finished them.

I maaaaay have to try them again. Smothered with bacon and butter, they may have some taste to them, after all.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
That looks amazing Jean! I am going to make this. Did you use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts?

Did you mix two pastas together? I think I see some campanelle.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by luvnit (That looks amazing J...)
Good eye, Laura - I couldn't find Orecchiette here so subbed campanelle and medium shells.

I used fresh b. sprouts. But don't see why fozen wouldn't work if that's what you have.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by cjs (Good eye, Laura - I ...)
I am going to make this sometime VERY soon.

I love brussel sprouts. I am not sure if they are in season now. I was wondering about fresh or frozen just because of the cooking times, but I bet I could wing it and figure it out.

Good job Jean. Looks picture perfect! (Hey! Where did the picture go?)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon by luvnit (I am going to make t...)
Ooops, just learned something - when I delete from Photobucket, I guess it deletes it from here also. Well, guess I won't do that again.
www.achefsjourney.com