Electric Skillet Review Issue
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Trying to find a needle in a haystack here.

I got a Cuisinart Electric Skillet from Santa and I know C@H did a review on them. Usually there will be a recipe in the issue using it. Unfortunately, I cannot find in the recipe index for which issue was involved.

Would anyone know within a year's worth of issues which one it could be?

Anyone out there have any recipe ideas (besides fried chickie) for this?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Electric Skillet Review Issue by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Tryi...)
Barbara, after dinner, I look for you. I'm pretty sure I've got that one. But for now, I would suggest you try Jean's recipe for Cold Fried Chicken and let us know how it works. I trust Jean to know what she's about, but this one just blows my mind. I see if I can find the thread for that one. I think it's on here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Review Issue by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, after dinne...)
Thanks Daphne!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Review Issue by BarbaraS (Thanks Daphne!![br][...)
Barbara, I don't see any recipes in the issue with the review. It's on pages 26-7 in Issue 69, June 2008.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Review Issue by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I don't see...)
Thanks so much!! I could've sworn it was in the 30-40 numbered issues.

Yeah, the hubby/Santa got me the one C@H recommended. I got really scared one time making one recipe of Fried Chicken. The oil got to a point that I thought it would explode on a pop. It was with a "loose batter" in a skillet that should have been made in a deep fryer. Never again. Nope, no deep fryer for me.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Review Issue by BarbaraS (Thanks so much!! I ...)
Hey All,

I resurrected this thread because this weekend I am going to use my Christmas present of a new Electric Skillet for the first time in my life. And I mean that I've never used one before, not even my Mom.

So I want to make fried chicken. Just a basic dry breading, nothing spectacular.

Has anyone used one of these before? Do you have some tips I should know beforehand?

I'm also making corn fritters from a really great recipe:

Nanny Hunter's Corn Fritters

(This is from a farm and farm stand that is still working from the 1750's - the oldest in NJ!)

2 cups fresh corn (about 8 ears, but really 4/6, but what the heck, their corn is awesome!! I shucked and froze a dozen ears before they closed for the season.)

1 teaspoon butter, melted

1/4 cup milk - whole

2 eggs

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mix together all ingredients, except corn, and whisk.

Fold in corn.

Drop batter by the spoonful into hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning often.

Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.

Serve with Jersey Fresh honey for dipping.

Note: They are delish with a honey drizzle!!

Barbara
  Re: Electric Skillet Help!! by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I re...)
My mom always made fried chicken in her electric skillet; I've never owned one. Mom's "secret" to good fried chicken (passed on to her from her MIL) is to heavily salt the chicken pieces early in the day, put in the fridge. Then they just used a seasoned flour coating in a in a brown lunch bag, shaking each piece before dropping in the hot oil. No egg, or bread crumbs. Fry it hot to brown on all sides, turn it down and cover to make sure the chicken is cooked through, then uncover and turn it hot to recrisp at the finish. Be sure to strain and save the cooking oil in a jar in the fridge for next time you make fried chicken. That makes the future batches even better!!!

If you're going to make a pan gravy, be sure to brown the seasoned flour leftover from the brown bag in about 1-2 T of the drippings before adding water and then finishing with hot cream. YUMMMM!

I haven't had a jar of "chicken oil" in the fridge for a long time.

Let us know how it turns out!
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Help!! by HomeCulinarian (My mom always made f...)
Oh fried chicken...the bane of my culinary skills.

I have tried it in an electric skillet, cast iron pan, and deep fryer. As of yet I haven't made any decent fried chicken. Let me know how yours comes out I am always willing to try another recipe till I find the perfect recipe.
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Help!! by DFen911 (Oh fried chicken...t...)
AHHHH---fried chicken.....YUMMMM!!!!!

My technique in an electric skillet because the temp can be controlled beautifully. Marinate pieces in buttermilk for about an hour then shake pieces in seasoned flour. Place coated pieces on a rack and let sit for as long (or little) a time as you prefer.

Heat oil (about 1/2 inch) at 350 degrees. Place chicken pieces in hot oil skin side down and then cover for about 10 minutes (you may want to check after 5 minutes to be sure the pieces are browning evenly). Then remove cover, turn pieces and continue to cook for about 12 minutes. No fussing and beautifully cooked chicken every time. I set the cooked chicken on the rack--no paper towels--not greasy at all. Trick is in the steady temp.

Enjoy your skillet---I use it for the chicken, pancakes, latkes and fritters. Great kitchen gadget!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Electric Skillet Help!! by Roxanne 21 (AHHHH---fried chicke...)
I dare someone to make Cold Oil Fried chicken.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com