Welcome my dear Friend.
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Lvtahoe (I made everything up...)
Quote:

I probably shouldn't have called it sushi as I'm not into raw fish.

Not all sushi is raw fish. Much of it (including the eel) is cooked. Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi refers to having a base of cold, cooked rice, often with some vinegar on it.

Quote:

After the rice fiasco, kind of gave up!!

It is a short-grained rice, not long-grained nor basmati. Here is one recipe.
Quote:

"What is Nori??"

That's the dried-seaweed wrapper.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's the recipe Labs referenced - I would only add that after you toss the rice with the vinegar mixture, pour out on large baking sheets and swish with a spatula in one hand and a fan in the other and cool the rice as quickly as possible.

Sushi Rice Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Wake Up Little Sushi

2 cups sushi or short grain rice
2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.

Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.

Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Gourmet_Mom (Joan, all of what yo...)
You were correct about vinegar in the rice. Did you see the responses I received from the "Pros"? Can't wait to try again with the proper information. My hubby also loves CA rolls so he'll be thrilled if I can learn how to win the battle with the rice!!
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you for all the info...I really appreciate the lesson. Have printed the recipe and will be trying it again. Joan
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Gourmet_Mom (Well, LV, I'm bettin...)
Add my welcome to the list as well! It is just a big happy family here, so dive on in!
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Lvtahoe (Thank you for all th...)
These are the greatest people in the world! Knowledge is useless unless it is shared! Somewhere I'll find a picture of the sushi Jean and I made. Oh yummmmmmmm!! Very very good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Gourmet_Mom (Joan, all of what yo...)
Um...Fedex guy never made it and now my butt is cold from sitting on the porch so long.
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by DFen911 (Um...Fedex guy never...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com