The Quest
  Re: (...)
Have you ever had something you wanted to do, but there seemed to be obstacles every way you turned? With every obstacle, you became more determined to complete the task...to the point sometimes, the final goal became less important than completing the task?

This has been my experience with Pad Thai! I finally made it tonight! It was OK, but nothing to write home about. I think it may have been better with rice noodles instead of bean threads. The use of REAL fish sauce instead of making my own "mock" sauce (Simmer one can of drained anchovies, two smashed garlic cloves, a little salt, a little brown sugar, and 1 1/4 cup of water for ten minutes; then drain.) may have made it better.

But the point is, I finally completed my quest!!!! I know everyone here will be glad my continuous questions will come to an end...at least for this quest! And maybe someone else besides me learned a little something along the way!

Anybody else out there like this? I'd love to know I'm not the only one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: The Quest by Gourmet_Mom (Have you ever had so...)
Ben Franklin was asked how many times he failed to "isolate", "capture", "use " electricity--he responded "at least a thousand times"-- "how you must be depressed" was the answer. "Oh no" said Ben, "I know a thousand ways to fail". "Next time I may get it right".
I don't know how many dishes that were not only not impressive but not worth repeating. In science (and cooking) you learn from your disapointments. Usually you have to eat the cooking--you can throw the beaker or test tube away. I can't tell you how many times I ruined a roux .
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
I know how you feel, Daphne, went through this a while ago. You stuck with it, despite obstacles, (and a "finish this at all costs" frame of mind) and now you are done with it, I completely understand that!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: The Quest by pjcooks (I know how you feel,...)
Daphne you've conquered something I've always wanted to try!

So this dish wasn't something to write home about, but the next one will be Now that you know you can do it, you can focus on the flavors and the fun of creating your dish.

Well done! So many see a task like that never do it or give up but you pushed thru all that. **claps**
  Re: Re: The Quest by DFen911 (Daphne you've conque...)
Good for you, Daphne. Over the years there are many dishes I'm so glad I made - one time, and probably will never make again, but it's always fun to try the 'classics,' as Pad Thai certainly is. And one comes away three-fold smarter than before - new ingredients, new methods and new flavor combinations. Can't lose.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Quest by cjs (Good for you, Daphne...)
I love setting goals...I have recently made Kung Pao Chicken homemade and it was okay. Love playing and creating my own...take three or four of your favourite ingredients and make your own dish! You make things all of the time so stick with things you like and start seasoning and make it into something unique...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Daphne that's fantastic!

How great to come up with the "fish sauce"! I know that fish sauce makes a great deal of difference in Thai food, that said get small bottles of different brands and try them - not all of them taste the same and a bad one (to your taste) can ruin the experience of the dish for you.

The all time best guide to Thai food is "Hot Sour Salty Sweet" by Jeffrey Allford and Naomi Duguid. That book is my rock. "Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook" is also good. It's one of our favorite cuisines; Mexican/Latin, Italian, African/Caribbean, and Thai take up the first 6 places in our top ten and everything else is fightin' for the final 4.

The challenge of making any "foreign" cuisine is the better part of the trill. Bob and I have as much fun sourcing our ingredients as we do cooking and eating the food. We've found a little African/Caribbean store, Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Mexican & Latin, etc. The employees are always willing to answer questions - sometimes language gets in the way, but not often.

Now the first Quest is over - what's the next one?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: The Quest by Harborwitch (Daphne that's fantas...)
I think I need to find a restro that serves this and eat it prepared by a pro. Then I'll have a better idea of what I want...or don't want. Not being familiar with the flavors was a real handicap. I think the bean threads were my real problem. When I went to drain them and toss them around with my hands, I imagined jelly fish. At that point, I think I had lost the "taste" for the dish. I want to try it again with either rice noodles or rice pasta or angel hair. I think that will make a big difference. I just couldn't get past the texture thing.

The next Quest? Some may give up, but not me...Next up...LAMB! I may have to order it and I may have preconceived notions about the flavor, but I WILL try it! (One plus...my daughter has tried it and said it was really good. Now my kids are good eaters and love to try new things, but I don't think she'd steer me wrong.)
Daphne
  Re: Re: The Quest by Gourmet_Mom (I think I need to fi...)
Lamb what?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Quest by cjs (Lamb what?...)
I'm gonna do my review menu. I'm doing both reviews in the next week.

It's the Greek Lamb served with the Gyro Chopped Salad with Creamy Tzatsiki Dressing. I'm really looking forward to it. Any advice on cooking the lamb is welcome, since I have NO clue what I'm doing. I think I remember it should be cooked MR. I've got the temps on it here somewhere, I think. Anything else I need to know? I will be lucky to get any lamb I can get, but MAY have a choice on cut, but spring lamb may be out of the question. (I think Labs mentioned that earlier.)
Daphne