Cheesecake
  Re: (...)
I saw a post recently somewhere about using sour cream or not in cheesecake and what's the difference. I thought I'd test it out yesterday. Unfortunately, I chose to use light cream cheese and sour cream and now I don't know if the difference was the lighter version vs. using a recipe with sour cream.

It wasn't bad...just a little softer than I like. Although, the guy I made it for didn't complain! It was gone this morning! I can only account for 3 pieces eaten by others in the house...LOL! The guy really does LOVE his cheesecake.

Anyway, does anyone know if the difference was the light version or the sour cream?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (I saw a post recentl...)
I read somewhere, Daphne, that you weren't supposed to use the "light" cream cheese in cheesecakes, so I never have. I have used sour cream in cheesecakes before though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cheesecake by bjcotton (I read somewhere, Da...)
Thanks Billy. I think I've used light in my regular recipe with fine results, but it's been a while. Maybe it was a little softer than usual and then the use of the light sour cream too just made it that much softer. Like I said, it wasn't runny soft, just not a "set" as I'm used to. Jody said it had gotten more set on his third and fourth piece last night at bedtime....LOL! He also said a minute ago fifth, sixth and seventh pieces were even more firm this morning!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Billy. I thi...)
I love making cheesecakes. I'm the only one that likes them here and eat a piece that's about 1/2" wide at the outter end and am satisfied. I then have to find someone else to give the rest to, now that's not too hard to do!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cheesecake by bjcotton (I love making cheese...)
Daphne, I have about 90 different cheesecake recipes. I even have a square spring form pan to blow the minds of the locals that think cheesecakes have to be round. I don't have any round spring forms anymore as they broke while being cleaned at the "old" job since I had to use my own pans a lot in that place...

Let me know what you want to make...I have some of our friend Dan's old ones and a ton of others. A common "friend" Ruth that I am sure Billy and Jean and a few others know/remember gave me a great one for "Derby Day"...I even have a crazy Chef from Scotland's recipe for his shortbread crust saved away for fun too.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cheesecake by firechef (Daphne, I have about...)
mmmm...Well I'll have to mull that one over LJ! Sounds exciting! Hubby's employee just likes a basic cheesecake, so I guess your very best "plain" cheesecake to start.

After that, I'll let you know...Dan and Ruth and Tom? The mind just spins around to think! I still haven't tried Dan's Wake...Up Cheesecake yet. Have you? I keep meaning to...it sounds so decadent! I can't imagine what Ruth has up her sleeve....MMMMMM!
Daphne