Who was it who had posted messages about venison?
  Re: (...)
You may find this interesting:

Quote:

Plainville boy suffering from extreme allergy

by News Channel 8's Jocelyn Maminta
Posted Jan. 22, 2008
3:30 PM

(WTNH) _ A six year old Plainville boy and his family are trying to manage a rare disease that only allows him to eat just a few kinds of food.

It's lunchtime for Timmy Armstrong and his stepfather is cutting up prepared venison for the little boy. Deer meat is the only solid protein that the six year old can stomach.

"I say I'm on a diet, I can't eat a lot of food," Timmy said.

Timmy has eosinophilic esophagitis, a disease that is relatively new to doctors. It is characterized by an intense inflammation of the esophagus associated with allergies.

"The white blood cells think food is a parasite and it attacks his body and creates all kinds of symptoms whether you see them or not," said Timmy's mother, Stacey Dionne.

Timmy lives on a very restricted diet thanks to the disease.

"He can eat deer, he can have natural oats, for condiments he can have salt...sugar," said Timmy's father, Tim Armstrong Sr.

Also on Timmy's daily menu is an amino acid-based formula fed through a tube.

"It's better than drinking it," Timmy said.

According to Dr. Jeffrey Hyams at the Connecticut Children's Medical Center, Timmy's disorder has become widespread in the last 10 to 15 years.

"I will tell you, we are literally seeing two new cases a week of this, 100 cases in a year," Dr. Hyams said. "The inflammation is pretty much throughout the entire esophagus, and that inflammation somehow affects motility .. the way that it pushes food down."

The cause of eosinophilic esophagitis is unknown but Dr. Hyams says many doctors suspect that the environment may be a factor. "These types of disorders are very rarely seen in underdeveloped parts of the world where hygiene is not a premium but at the end of the day .. we don't know," he said.

Treatment includes identifying the foods that cause the inflammation.

While the disease is still too new for doctors to determine how it will impact Timmy's life, it doesn't stop the first grader from dreaming big. "I will be a football player with a feeding tube," he said.

(Source: http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=7757089)

Certainly must be one of the strangest food allergies out there.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Who was it who had posted messages about venison? by labradors (You may find this in...)
I've not heard about this before. What a difficult diet to contend with! Gotta admire Timmy's spunk!
  Re: Re: Who was it who had posted messages about venison? by HomeCulinarian (I've not heard about...)
I've heard of food allergies, but this is extreme. Timmy's got a good attitude, but this must be a challenge for the mother as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Who was it who had posted messages about venison? by Gourmet_Mom (I've heard of food a...)
Wow!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Who was it who had posted messages about venison? by labradors (You may find this in...)
This family was on the news. I saw the show. The boy really did have a wonderful attitude and seemed to know that if he ate anything not allowed, he could get really sick or could die.

Wow! Imagine only being limited to a few select foods.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
That's incredible, Labs, I've never heard of that before. Amazing he's handling it so well, being so young..

PJ
PJ