Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes
  Re: (...)
I was afraid the recipes would get lost in the middle of the other thread, so here they are (almost) -

Per Lab:
So, that makes the menu as follows:

Appetiser: Italian "nachos"
Main dish: Thai chicken skewer wraps
Side dish: Buttermilk mashed potatoes and cauliflower
Dessert: Boston cream cupcakes (if you make this, keep those comments in the thread already dedicated to them).

As they say here, "¡Buen provecho!"

Italian “Nachos” with tomatoes & peppers
Makes 25 chips

1 baguette, sliced into 1/2” –thick rounds
Olive oil
Salt to taste
3 cups fontina cheese, shredded (1/2 lb.)
2 cups tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/2 cup peperoncini, sliced

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Toast baguette round on a b.sheet in the oven till crisp, 8-10 min. per side. Turn oven off and preheat broiler to high.

Drizzle toasted bread with oil and sprinkle with salt; broil until bread is golden, 2-3 min.

Transfer to an oven safe serving platter (or leave on the b. sheet), top with fontina, and broil till melted, 3-4 min. Remove from oven.

Sprinkle with tomatoes and pepperoncini. Serve immediately

-----

Thai Chicken Skewer Wraps
Makes 16 skewers, about 2 cups sauce

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
6 T. brown sugar, divided
6 T. fresh lime juice, divided
2 T. Thai red curry paste, divided
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/4” thick strips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. fresh ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
16 Boston or bibb lettuce leaves
16 strips each red bell pepper and cucumber
Lime wedges

Blend cilantro, 4 T. brown sugar, 2 T. lime juice, 1 T. curry paste, pepper flakes, and salt in a food processor till smooth.
Pour over chicken, toss to coat, and marinate 10 min. Preheat broiler to high with rack 6” from element; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray.

Process 2 T. brown sugar, 4 T. lime juice and 1 T. curry paste with peanut butter, water, shallots, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in the processor (no need to wash the bowl) until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish.

Thread chicken onto 32 skewers. Arrange 8 skewers on prepared pan; cover ends of skewers with foil to prevent burning. Broil chicken in batches till browned and cooked though, 6 min.

To serve wrap a lettuce leaf around 2 strips of chicken, remove skewers, then add bell pepper and cucumber. Drizzle with sauce and lime juice.

------

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes & Cauliflower
Makes about 3 cups

Boil:
1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
1/2 lb. cauliflower florets
4 garlic cloves, peeled

Mash with; Garnish with:
1/2 cup buttermilk or 2% milk, warmed
3 T. unsalted butter
Salt, white pepper and ground nutmeg to taste
Chopped fresh chives

Boil potatoes, cauliflower, and garlic in pot of salted water till tender when pierced with a knife, 15-20 min.
Drain, return to vegetables to the pot, and cook over medium heat until excess water is evaporated, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.

Mash veggies with warm buttermilk and butter using a hand mixer on low speed till smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; garnish with chives.
-----

I'm hoping someone posted the cupcake recipe in the other thread - I'll go see. If not, I'll post it but not right now, it's a long one...

Here's the mushroom sauce recipe:
Mushroom Sherry Sauce
Makes 1 cup

Fry, Add and Sauté:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, diced
3 cups mixed mushrooms, halved or quartered (5 ½ oz.)
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. tomato paste

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup chicken broth

Finish with:
1 T. unsalted butter, cold
1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat till crisp, about 5 min.
Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan with drippings to the burner.
Add mushrooms and shallots, and sauté till mushrooms are browned, about 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry and simmer till evaporated. Gradually add broth, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook till slightly thickened, about 5 min.

Finish sauce with reserved bacon, butter, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

----
the cupcakes later...unless that wonderful litttle BillyJ comes thru with his fast typing and does it first...hint, hint, hint.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by cjs (I was afraid the rec...)
Dang...looks great. I'd love to play too but Kambree is having her cleft lip repair surgery the morning of the 29th. Have to be up and drive 89 miles before 5am so that leaves me out unless I can make it the weekend before and post it on the 28th???

I have the new computer so maybe Holly could start helping me with posting photos of some of this stuff. This is a fun interactive site...great people so far too!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by firechef (Dang...looks great. ...)
LJ, this is what's so fun about these dinners - we pick them and have 2 to 3 weeks to make them. We all just have to keep our mouths shut until the review date...I do have trouble with that part...

So, join us!!

and good luck with the surgery!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by cjs (LJ, this is what's s...)
OK, being a newbie, I have a few questions.

Are all the recipes to be made for one meal? I think I remember a "no" for that one, but just checking.
Are substitutions allowed, 'cause some of these items I may not be able to find? The Thai curry paste is a particular worry since I'm not sure there IS a sub for that. (Excited about my first Thai meal though.)

Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (OK, being a newbie, ...)
As far as I know, you may make as much or as little of the dinner as you wish - maybe even spread the dishes out over different nights.

Substitution is fine, but when you write your review, make sure you let everyone know what you substituted for what.

I know I've seen SOME kind of curry paste here, but I don't recall which type, so I may not have exactly the right one, either. If not, I will use either what IS available, or use this recipe, this recipe, or this recipe to make some.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by labradors (As far as I know, yo...)
Thanks Lab! I was sooo worried about the Thai dish and so wanted to try that one! Problem solved. All sites even helped sub for galangal! You're great!

Southport has a Thai restro that my mother loves....I can't wait to experiment with this one and then try on her! Your GREAT!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by cjs (LJ, this is what's s...)
Oh goody...I'll have something to make this weekend and well not the following one but the one after that one too!

I promise to keep me mouth in the closed position...shouldn't be too hard it's not like I'm known to blab or anything....be nice Jean! You too Gammy!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by firechef (Oh goody...I'll have...)
Oh thanks for the site info on the curry paste (I subscribe to About.com Southern foods and Chines foods newsletters, but didn't realize they also offered thai!!

I sent away for a (can't remember where now) 'set' of curry pastes - the brand is Maesri.
Masaman curry paste
Karee curry " (yellow)
Prik Khing curry "
Panang Curry "
Red curry "

Haven't used any of them yet, so I'm ready to go
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by cjs (Oh thanks for the si...)
The brand I have is Thai Kitchen red curry paste. I found it in the asian section of our Top Food/Hagen. It is in a small jar.

I wish I could share some of my Mae Ploy Panang Curry paste with you all. I have a huge tub of it that is about to expire. It sure is good - but very hot. I made it to the ratio they suggested and we almost couldn't eat it - Almost... I love Panang.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Jan. 28th Review Dinner Recipes by esgunn (The brand I have is ...)
Bringing this back to the top. I'm working on my review this weekend and can't find the cupcake recipe. Anybody?
Daphne