Frozen herbs?
  Re: (...)

do any of you good people use frozen herbs. I don't have a garden yet and have a been using dried herbs but I saw some frozen herbs at Trader Joe's and I want to try them. I saw basil and I can't remember the others that I saw. What do you think?
  Re: Frozen herbs? by coco hernandez ([br]do any of you go...)
Coco, I've seen them recently in the store, sold in a box containing individual cubes. A co-worker has tried them and said they were good. OTOH, if you can get them fresh, they would probably be cheaper, and you can freeze them yourself.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Frozen herbs? by Lorraine (Coco, I've seen them...)
I haven't done the frozen herb thang yet----I would love to try it because I have tons of herbs available here, off season that I would love to freeze!!!

Great question----HELP, anybody!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Frozen herbs? by Roxanne 21 (I haven't done the f...)
Someone, somewhere suggested layering basil leaves, wrapping tightly and freezing the pkgs. I tried it, but forgot about it - guess I'd better go check the little leaves out....will post results.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Frozen herbs? by cjs (Someone, somewhere s...)
Coco, I did the herb cube thing this summer and it works just fine. Whirl them up in the food proc. with a little olive oil, freeze in plastic cube trays. Pop out, and put in ziploc bags or containers. Very convenient for soup or sauces.

A couple of people have told me that they just freeze the whole branches of basil and when they need it, just take it out and crumble some into whatever they are cooking. I haven't tried that yet, but it's sounds like it would work okay. The basil does turn dark when frozen though.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Frozen herbs? by cjs (Someone, somewhere s...)
I have spread basil leaves on a cookie sheet, froze seperately and then put in a zip lock and placed back in the freezer. When you take them out use as fresh in anything you cook, but use quickly-they will discolor. I have also frozen peeled garlic cloves the same way-they work even better.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Frozen herbs? by Old Bay (I have spread basil ...)
yes, garlic I used to do quite often. I still roast garlic (in olive oil) then separate into containers of the garlic-oil and garlic cloves and freeze. Great to have on hand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com