Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help!
  Re: (...)
Is it possible for me to make a top-crust-only apple pie in a cast iron skillet? Here's my idea: Mix the apples with the usual sugar/cinnamon, etc. Throw it into my cast-iron skillet. Top it with a pie crust. Bake until apples are cooked and crust is flaky. Kind of like an apple crisp but with a pie crust instead of streusel topping. Will this work???? I'm a relative novice with the cast iron skillet and I'm afraid of the apples burning while the crust stays raw.

Any thoughts/opinions/experience/insights to share would be appreciated!!
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by jenni (Is it possible for m...)
I'm sure this would work great for you - growing up this is what a cobbler was to me, not fruit with streusel or crumb or biscuit topping - it was always topped with a pie crust.

Making cobblers in cast iron was big in my early years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by cjs (I'm sure this would ...)
Same here, my mom did it all the time and also called it cobbler. She didn't bake it in a cast iron pan, but used a 9x13 baking pan instead. It worked just fine.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by Mare749 (Same here, my mom di...)
I used to bake a Dutch Apple Baby in a cast iron pan, and it always turned out. So, I'm with the others!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by Lorraine (I used to bake a Dut...)
oh man, I haven't made a Dutch Baby in years!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by cjs (oh man, I haven't ma...)
Jenni,
Just to be extra safe, you could bake it on one of those air type cookie sheets. That would make sure the apples didn't burn and catch any spills too.
Cis
Cj Okay, so whats a Dutch Baby?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by cjs (oh man, I haven't ma...)
Jean, what Cis said.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by pjcooks (Jean, what Cis said....)
This be a dutch baby -

NOTES : Dutch baby pancakes are a cross between a soufflé, a crêpe and a pancake. Because only the edges rise during baking, the center can be filled with sautéed apples, pears or peaches just before service. The plain pancake is also delicious sprinkled with powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.

Dutch Baby Pancakes

5 ounces Flour
8 fluid ounces Milk
3 Eggs
1 1/2 ounces Granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/2 ounce Whole butter
Powdered sugar -- as needed
1/2 fluid ounce Fresh lemon juice

Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. In a separate container blend the milk, eggs, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour, beating until well blended and smooth.

Place the butter in a heavy 10-inch (25-centimeter) skillet and put the skillet into a hot oven. When the pan is hot and the butter melted but not burned, remove the pan from the oven and immediately pour in the batter. Return the pan to a 425°F (220°C) oven and bake until puffed, dry and lightly browned, approximately 25 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle with lemon juice and serve immediately.

----

And they are so good and fun for a Sunday Brunch!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by cjs (This be a dutch baby...)
Thanks for the recipe Jean! Mine was from an old Bon Appetit, circa late 70's early 80's. Not that I had a subcription to it them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Dessert Recipe help! by Lorraine (Thanks for the recip...)
Looks very YUM Jean, copied and flagged "make soon"
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life