Lepkuchen
  Re: (...)
Sept. 15th is my mother's 90th birthday and now a days, there is nothing she likes better than goopy, sweet things! So, I'm making up some of her old favorties to put in her freezer and she can just pig out.... this is the first one I made - she got the recipe out of the newspaper Christmas season 1960 and we've made it every every year since then. They are great for sending to out of town kids and they freeze also.

My mother cut out and sent this recipe to me from the December 8, 1960 Yakima (Washington) Herald newspaper and we have been making these ever since. I used to send these as part of a Christmas goodie box to my children every year and I just recently found out two of my grandchildren had never tasted this bar before….their mother removed them from the package before they saw them. I couldn't believe it!

LEPKUCHEN

Cookie ingredients:
4 lg eggs -- well beaten
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsps cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. each: cloves -- allspice & mace
15 drops maple flavoring -- (~1 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp brandy or brandy flavoring
2 Tbsps water
6 Tbsps butter -- melted
2 1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 cup walnuts -- chopped
1 cup honey
Glaze:
2 cup confectioner's sugar -- sifted
3 Tbsps milk
2 Tbsps butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar & salt.
Add the rest of the cookie ingredients, mix well, adding nuts and honey last.

Pour into a shallow baking sheet which has been lined with wax paper (or parchment), for 25 minutes.

Bake for 25 min. Turn from pan and spread immediately with glaze.

GLAZE: Sift sugar into a bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan, heat milk and butter over low heat, stirring until butter melts.
Remove from heat and add to the sugar, mixing well. Add the vanilla.

Cut into 1 ½" squares.

[Image: LEPKUCHEN.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lepkuchen by cjs (Sept. 15th is my mot...)
That particular goopy looking dessert ( ) is HUGE here around the holidays--it is usually done a bit thinner and made into cookies....they are very good!!

Enjoyed the bit of history, Jean---thanks!

90----WOW!!!! Happy Birthday a bit early to Jean's Mom!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Lepkuchen by cjs (Sept. 15th is my mot...)
Jean, 4 or 5 years ago my mom, her German friend, me and the friend's grandmother -- she was 98 -- and we used a recipe that the grandmother's grandma used all her life. Pretty old recipe! It is much different than the one you posted, having citron and candied orange zest in them, a LOT of different spices, and some other ingredients which at that time were scarce in the Eurpoean countries.

Something that still sticks out in my mind is the first step of her recipe, that being 5 pounds of honey mixed with 5 pounds of flour and some other things, which had to set overnight before proceeding. We ended up with 1,300 cookies!!! Unbelievable! But it was just as unbelievable as how fast they disappeared! I just received my order last week from King Arthur Flour for the citron. A German friend and I plan on making these over the weekend, but NOT 1,300 of them!

They sure are delicious, pack well for shipping (as you state) and if around long enough, they keep well, too!

Here's another happy birthday wish for your mom!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Lepkuchen by MUSICMAKER (Jean, 4 or 5 years a...)
An 'anon' was looking at this thread - brought a tear to the eye. Wish she was still celebrating birthdays.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lepkuchen by cjs (An 'anon' was lookin...)
I do too, Jean. And whatever happened to Musicmaker?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lepkuchen by Old Bay (I do too, Jean. And...)
Thank you, Bill

She went a little overboard on some threads and got expelled from a lot of forums, but I don't think she was from here. At least I had nothing to do with it - she never crossed me, I guess.
www.achefsjourney.com