Does anybody own an outdoor smoker?
  Re: (...)
I bought the small cast iron smoker box for my grill recently, and we like it well enough, but now I'm thinking of buying a regular smoker, like the kind you would use to slow cook something all day, like a turkey or brisket. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anybody own an outdoor smoker? by Mare749 (I bought the small c...)
I don't really know much about them Maryann. The people I know that use them mostly use them for jerky, smoked fish, smoking ham steaks, but not really cooking anything in them. They use the Little Chief or Big Chief for that. Someone with more experience will educate both of us hopefully.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Get a cajun type water smoker--it looks like the little guy from Star Wars. Really makes smoking easy.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
we have a small cajun smoker and we love it, but you need to dedicate an entire afternoon to it so we don't use it as much as we'd like. Ours has several levels, one for the coals and another level with a bin for liquid and then the grill. It makes an outstanding smoked chicken and turkey.
  Re: Re: Does anybody own an outdoor smoker? by lxxf (we have a small caju...)
Thanks everybody, I will look into a cajun smoker for sure!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody own an outdoor smoker? by Mare749 (Thanks everybody, I ...)
you'll have fun with that Maryann - we have one that I just love. I don't know what it is, but it's a big red one....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anybody own an outdoor smoker? by cjs (you'll have fun with...)
Jean, what do you cook on yours? I'm thinking it would be fun and maybe I would do better with that than I have with the grill.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody own an outdoor smoker? by Mare749 (Jean, what do you co...)
a lot of salmon, used to do quail, smoked pork chops are wonderful, chickens - but have not done a turkey yet, oh trout - wonderful...guess that's about it?

For some reason I haven't gotten it out since we moved,hmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com