Review Sausage Minestra
  Re: (...)
From the Splendid Soups book. I Think Roxanne reviewed this one once before, but thought it was worth bringing up again.

I picked up my mom and her friend last night at 9:30 pm from the airport. They had flown from Coppenhagen and been on the go for many hours. I wasn't sure if they would want anything to eat, but knew not a heavy meal. So, I thought a little warm soup might be the ticket.

It was very easy to make and the flavors were great. Of course I had to sub two ingredients. My mom is allergic to chicken, so I subbed half beef broth and half vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I thought for sure I had orzo, but didn't so I used a mini alphabet pasta. I made it up before I picked them up, and had to thin the soup just a little when re-heating. Even just 1/2 cup of pasta can really soak up that broth.

It was great. I also left out the red pepper flakes so the kids will be enjoying this for lunch today!

A real keeper. And it was good anytime of year. Especially with the fresh tomatoes and fresh spinach.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Review Sausage Minestra by esgunn (From the Splendid So...)
Oh sounds so yummy Erin. I just ordered this for Heidi's upcoming birthday, she is my soup lover and has invented several recipes of her own. She also likes to go home and make her version of whatever she's had at a restaurant. This sounds like another great reason to be glad I ordered it for her! That Lasagna soup is really good too, have you tried it?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by farnfam (Oh sounds so yummy E...)
I've been wanting to try both of those, but the weather turned warm just about the time my book arrived. Thanks for both reviews. They sound so good, I wish we would get a cool day so I could make one of them!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by Mare749 (I've been wanting to...)
Haven't tried the Sausage Minestra, yet - but it does look good! We really liked the Lasagna soup also!

We've tried five from this book and liked all the soups, but the one 'go with' we didn't care for at all was the Crab Salad wraps that went with the Split Pea with Ham.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by cjs (Haven't tried the Sa...)
We have made the Lasagna soup and love it and the parmesan twists. I have made the baked potato soup and thought it was very good, and I have made the Sausage Minestra now and liked that.

I also made the Chicken Mulligatawny and was actually a little disapointed in it. I don't remember exactly why now, but I was so looking forward to it - and remember thinking as we ate it, I would not make again.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by esgunn (We have made the Las...)
Thanks for the warning about the crab salad wraps, Jean. For some reason I thought it was crab toast appetizers that you didn't care for. I'll make a note of this one and probably skip it.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by Mare749 (Thanks for the warni...)
Like Erin, I can't remember just what I didn't like about it, but thankfully I did write a note on the recipe.

Had to go look at the Crab Toasts - we loved those and the Poblano-Corn chowder - I have crab and we're having rain later this week, maybe I'll do this one again.... (hmmm, just checked that dinner would be 8 points )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review Sausage Minestra by cjs (Like Erin, I can't r...)
That sausage minestra was good!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy