Pie Contest Winner!!
  Re: (...)
No, not me... but my 6 year old son!! He entered the San Diego County Fair "Kid's Best" competition, and on Saturday it was the "Fill a Pie Shell" contest. He really did all of the measuring, stirring, beating, food processing, etc. He won with this recipe, and he was so very happy to win!

Easy Snickers Bar Pie
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup chunky peanut butter
3 regular-sized Snickers candy bars, chopped
16 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
Two prepared graham cracker pie crusts or chocolate cookie pie crusts
chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, chopped snickers and chopped peanuts for garnish

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese sugar and peanut butter until creamy.

2. Stir in chopped candy bars.

3. Gently fold in the Cool Whip just until mixed.

4. Pour into crusts. Drizzle chocolate and caramel syrup on top and sprinkle with chopped peanuts and additional chopped snickers.

Yield: 2 pies

We made our own pie crust instead of store-bought graham cracker crusts:

1¼ cups dry-roasted, salted peanuts
½ cup granulated sugar
pinch of ground cloves
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
¼ cup heavy cream

1. Prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Pulse peanuts, granulated sugar and cloves in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Pulse in butter. Press the nut mixture evenly into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan and bake until set, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. Melt the chocolate with the cream in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth, and then spread the chocolate over the crust. Freeze the crust while making the filling.
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Pie Contest Winner!! by SDRecipeGirl (No, not me... but my...)
Wow! Congratulations to him! That is fantastic.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Congratulations to an up and coming chef!!! Please give him a big hug from all of us!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pie Contest Winner!! by cjs (Congratulations to a...)
I second that! Give him a big hug from me too! I'm a huge fan of children doing real cooking and baking, and the earlier the better. I'm convinced that's the reason my graddaughter is willing to try most foods.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That's great! Congratulations to you both.
  Re: Re: Pie Contest Winner!! by HomeCulinarian (That's great! Congr...)
Great job and from scratch no less
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pie Contest Winner!! by bjcotton (Great job and from s...)
Congratulate him for me, too! I think this is wonderful that the fair would have a contest like that. It certainly will encourage the kids to cook it up, lol.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Wow Lori, how cool is that!! You should be very proud (and I bet you are too)
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pie Contest Winner!! by farnfam (Wow Lori, how cool i...)
Thanks for the congrats everyone! Yep, I'm very proud of course. He is very interested in cooking and always asks me to explain what I'm doing in the kitchen. Hopefully I can train him to cook for us in his teenage years!! He took his blue ribbon to kindergarten today to share
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Ok that is just too cool!!! Tell him major congrats and keep up the fantastic work Do you have pictures of him preparing or a pic of his winning pie?