Grand Marnier Souffle...
  Re: (...)
I have been running my rump off lately (MIL has had hip replacement) and wanted to make the Grand Marnier Souffle recipe that Roxanne posted a while back for New Year's Eve. I thought DH and I deserved the lovely souffle with a Champagne toast to 2007! I used the last of the Grand Marnier for truffles given as gifts this holiday...so off to the liquor store I go. I reached for "the lovely" and almost fell out! The price is now $45 for the darn stuff. Can you believe it? The recipe doesn't require much...but not a drop in the house. I went over and bought the little sample bottle (that was $3.50). The price has really jumped here lately.
  Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by dollop (I have been running ...)
well, he-- (heck), we'll just have to stock up on recipes calling for Grand Marnier so we can make use of it....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by cjs (well, he-- (heck), w...)
Dollop, that happened to me when I just wanted to toss a fruit salad with a splash of Grand Marnier...picked up the bottle and said, "Holy ____, uh Cow!".

I went and bought a 'sampler' also.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by Half_Baked (Dollop, that happene...)
Now, y'all have to DOUBLE (sometimes TRIPLE) that price because of the import duties (plus "sin tax", plus whatever money maker they add on) here!! I always bring back a bottle from the duty free shop when I travel--or ask someone when they are visiting to bring one for reimbursement--(I usually end up with a gift though)--

I use it as well in my orange sauce for the duck---a bottle lasts for a VERY LONG time---needless to say!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by Roxanne 21 (Now, y'all have to D...)
"---a bottle lasts for a VERY LONG time---needless to say!! "

Not im my house. I love it. What happened to the gool ol' days when a group would come in from dinner and we'd all drink a large assorment of aperitifs (it that the word? - B&B, cointreau etc) Everyone's liquor cabinet would be filled and we drank it out of little tiny stemmed glasswear?

I know I didn't dream it!
Jan

Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by Half_Baked ("---a bottle lasts f...)
If you did, I did too!! Remember King Alfonse??? yum!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by cjs (If you did, I did to...)
For some reason Dollop, I expected you to say there wasn't a "dollop" instead of drop in the house. I bought a bottle of Cointreau and just about had heart failure at the price. Everytime I'm getting low on something like that and visit Marilee in Portland we go to the liquor store that has the samples and I buy a few. Most things only call for a tablespoon at the outside. Since the day I made myself a drink and thought, "this tastes like S***!" the only drink I enjoy is Cointreau and then only about half a shot. I take a sip and have a MAJOR hot-flash, let that calm down and then take the last sip and have another hot-flash. I just love the taste of Cointreau, so will suffer the consequences.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by cjs (If you did, I did to...)
Lol, we sure had some of the best times in the 'old' days, didn't we Jean? Have we changed or is it just no longer in vogue...or am I just out of the 'loop'?

I miss my friends desperately.
Jan

Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by bjcotton (For some reason Doll...)
Cointreau would be my sub for Grand Marnier in all recipes---NOBODY touches my grand marnier though---strictly for those special recipes!!! Welll---that might not be the whole truth---

What's Alphonse??? Don't mean to be nosey---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle... by Roxanne 21 (Cointreau would be m...)
I hate to say it Jan, but I think we're getting out of the loop...

Roxanne, a King Alphonse is, well most people used Creme de Cacao - but we always used Kahlua. There was a special very small stemmed glass you poured a shot (well, not even a shot really) of Kahlua in, then poured a little heavy cream over the back of a spoon to top the drink. UMMMMMM, very tasty!
www.achefsjourney.com