Have you checked out....
  Re: (...)
King Arthur's recipes? Here are a couple of examples of what's available.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Asian-Spiced Pork Stew with Scallion Pancakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder -- cubed*
3 tablespoons soy sauce** -- (1 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup cornstarch -- (1 ounce)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil -- (7/8 ounce)
2 cups chopped onions -- (7 to 8 ounces, 2 medium)
1 1/4 cups water or chicken broth -- (10 ounces)
2 tablespoons molasses -- (1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons brown sugar -- (1 ounce)
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or white vinegar -- (1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons minced fresh or bottled crushed ginger -- (5/8 ounce)
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes -- (1/2 to 1)
2 cloves garlic -- peeled and crushed (2 to 4)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups diced sweet potatoes -- (18 to 20 ounces, 2 large) (3 to 4)
1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper -- (8 to 10 ounces) (1 1/2 to 2)
1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper -- (8 to 10 ounces) (1 1/2 to 2)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or fresh basil leaves -- (3/4 ounce) chopped
toasted sesame oil (optional)

*If pork chops are on sale, they may be the most economical way to go. It's easy to trim their fat and cut chops into pieces. You can also boil any bones in a bit of water, then strain the broth to use as the liquid in the stew.

**Plus extra to add, to taste, near the end of the simmering time.

Trim any excess fat from the meat. Cut it into 1/2-inch cubes, and toss them with the soy sauce, then the cornstarch.

Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Brown the meat, add the onions, and cook until browned. Pour the water or broth over the meat and onions, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, and stir in the molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, hot pepper, garlic, and black pepper. Simmer the stew for 30 minutes or so, until the meat is somewhat tender.

After 30 minutes, add the diced sweet potatoes and simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked. Finally, stir in the red and green peppers, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, till the peppers are crisp-tender. Note: The peppers may be added when you add the sweet potato, but adding them in the final 10 minutes of cooking keeps their color bright and their texture pleasingly crunchy.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the chopped fresh cilantro or basil over the top of each serving of stew, then drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil, if desired, right before serving. Serve the stew with scallion pancakes (recipe below). Yield: 6 to 8 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each.

Source:
"©2004 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This colorful melange of pork and vegetables features the deep flavor of molasses, the heat of red pepper flakes, and the distinctive taste of cilantro (or basil, if you're not a cilantro fan). Our take on scallion pancakes is a much less complex process, though it still makes tasty cakes, than the traditional coiling and rolling method. See our Scallion Pancake recipe on this site.

Scallion Pancakes

Recipe By :
Categories : A List Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

1 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (8 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal -- (2 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds -- (3/4 ounce)
2 cups boiling water -- (16 ounces)
2 bunches scallions -- (5 to 6 ounces total) thinly sliced (use all but the very ends of the green) (2 to 3)

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the boiling water, stirring till everything is well-combined, then stir in the sliced scallions.

Heat a griddle or skillet until a drop of water skitters across the surface. Grease it lightly with vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray. Using a generous 1/4 cup for each pancake, drop the batter onto the hot griddle, spreading it out a bit as you do. Cook each pancake until it's browned and set at the edges before turning it over to finish cooking. Place the cakes on a baking sheet in a 300°F oven to keep them warm until you're ready to serve them. Or cool them on a rack, and reheat them in the oven or on a griddle. Cut the cakes into triangles, and serve them with the stew. Yield: 1 dozen 3 1/2-inch pancakes.

Source:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : These soft, cream-colored cakes harbor a flotilla of tender-crunchy scallion slices.

Asiago Ciabatta

Recipe By :
Categories : A List Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

1 Big a (Starter)
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup pumpernickel -- rye, or whole wheat flour
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
Dough
all of the starter
2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavoring (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
4 ounces Asiago or Parmesan cheese -- cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup), plus extra for grating over the top of the bread (4 to 5)

Biga: Mix all of the biga ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until well-blended. Cover the bowl, and leave it at cool room temperature (68°F-70°F) for 12 to 20 hours, until the biga is very bubbly.

Dough: Mix the biga and the remaining dough ingredients, except the cheese, using an electric mixer set on slow speed, for 2 to 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and mix for about 4 minutes; the dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Add additional water or flour if necessary. Mix in the cheese; don't worry if some pieces pop out. Allow the dough to rise, in a greased, covered bowl, for 1 to 2 hours, until it's very puffy. Note: You can also mix this dough in a bread machine set on the dough cycle; add the diced cheese several minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and shape it into two long loaves, about 12 x 4 inches each. Place the loaves, floured side up, onto parchment paper (if you plan to bake on an oven stone) or baking sheets. Cover the loaves with a proof cover or well-greased plastic wrap, and allow them to rise for 45 minutes, or until they're very puffy. Sprinkle them with additional grated cheese.

Bake the ciabatta in a preheated 450°F oven for 22 to 26 minutes, until it's golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack. Yield: 2 loaves.

Source:
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Have you checked out.... by bjcotton (King Arthur's recipe...)
Never gave them a glance, but I will now! These recipes sound yummy. The Asiago bread really got my attention because it's my dad's favorite, and I like to make him something special every now and then. Thanks for posting.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Have you checked out.... by Mare749 (Never gave them a gl...)
I think it is true that the very best recipes are often printed on the box or packet.
Ya know I look at their bread (etc.) recipes - but didn't know that they had stuff like this!!! Wow!!! That pork sounds so good, I wish I had all the stuff cause it would be wonderful right now!!! I love scallion pancakes - this recipe is a little different than the one I usually use - but then that cookbook is in storage - (gawd - this is killin' me! !)
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Yes, Billy, I love their recipes. Here's one I did for Turkey Day, subbing squash 'cause I like it better!

These deep-gold rolls will look lovely in your Thanksgiving breadbasket.
4 3/4 cups (20 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) firmly packed brown sugar, light or dark
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 cup (8 ounces) canned pumpkin or squash
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft butter
3/4 cup (4 1/2 ounces) dried cranberries or golden raisins
1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) diced crystallized ginger
Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients except the fruit and crystallized ginger—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—until you've made a soft, fairly smooth dough. Right at the end, knead in the fruit and crystallized ginger; save out 16 cranberries, to use as a garnish. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it's almost double in bulk.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, gently deflate it, and divide it into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place rolls onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside, covered lightly, to rise for 1 hour, or until the rolls look puffy.

Use a pair of scissors to gently snip an "X" into the top of each roll; be careful, as you don't want to totally deflate the rolls (they'll inevitably settle a bit as you snip). Set a dried cranberry into each opening. Bake the rolls in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're lightly browned and a cake tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Remove them from the oven, set them on a rack, and brush with melted butter, if desired. Yield: 16 rolls.

Thanks for bringing this up, Billy.

PJ
PJ
On the biga for the asiago--what is the size/quantity of biga for this recipe. Looks yummy.

KA has many great recipes available. There are several cookbooks that can be accessed through their website--along with all of their great products. They also have a roundtable/forum discussion which can be found on the site as well. It is great for everything you ever wanted know (and more) about baking. Which reminds me, I haven't visited for awhile---NO TIME!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
That pork dish sounds great! duly copied.

My only complaint is why can't they get their weights straight??

"4 3/4 cups (20 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour"

"1 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (8 1/2 ounces)"

In the Denham kitchen -
1 cup A.P. unsifted flour = 5 oz.
1 cup A.P. sifted flour = 4 oz.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Have you checked out.... by Roxanne 21 (On the biga for the ...)
It says "all of the starter (bigga). So however much the recipe makes would be how much you use. I guess anyway.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Have you checked out.... by bjcotton (It says "all of the ...)
OOPS!!! I didn't read that carefully---sorry 'bout that. The recipes look great---copied and printed--thanks, Billy.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Have you checked out.... by cjs (That pork dish sound...)
Good point, Jean, I don't compare their recipes side by side so I don't notice things like that. I usually weigh my ingredients and trust weight over cup measures but you've opened my eyes, so to speak. Think I'll ask them why.

PJ
PJ