Hubby needs to get healthy
  Re: (...)
My husband got the verdict from the doc last week - high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. etc. - that he has to change his lifestyle immediately. I'm determined not to let that put a hitch in my recent rediscovery of the love of cooking. I both love to cook sinful stuff as well as healthy stuff, so can start swinging more towards the latter without too much upset. (I will miss my heavy cream but would miss my sweet husband much, much more!) Any hints on where to find the best recipes? Any encouragement on how to convert some of the recipes we discuss here healthier - does it still taste as good?

Thanks!!!
  Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by carolekv (My husband got the v...)
We had this conversation a month or so ago. It's tough to change but I had to do it also. Good luck to both of you!

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/uequc
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by Half_Baked (We had this conversa...)
Jan's link is a good one - just realized I didn't come back and post the names of a couple of 'fun' healthy books -

HeartSmart chinese Cooking - Stephen Wong
HeartSmart Flavours of India - Krishna Jamal

Good luck and have fun with this challenge!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by cjs (Jan's link is a good...)
I'm sure I posted this before, but just in case.
Heart Healthy Old Fashioned Poor People's Pasta
While your pasta (penne or rotini) is cooking, saute chopped onion, garlic, basil, salt & pepper in Olive oil
add 2-3 sliced zuchini and yellow squash mixed (other veggies such as eggplant, spinach, brocolli, in season)
a pinch of hot pepper. Cook for til almost done, a few minutes, deglaze with white wine. Add one can kidney or garbanzo beans with liquid stir well. Top cooked pasta. Very good heart foods there, satisfying, not to high in calories. Try it you'll like it
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by farnfam (I'm sure I posted th...)
Oh yeah, I was at Safeway today and they had a diabetic recipe for Pork Loin with Lemon Marmalade Glaze. I'll post it tomorrow if anyone is interested. Sounds tasty to me
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by farnfam (I'm sure I posted th...)
cis, that sure doesn't look familiar and it's one I would have copied, don't think you have posted it, unless it was before 'our' time...looks good.

Billy, why not try it (the pork) and let us know how you like it...?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by cjs (cis, that sure doesn...)
Here's one I got from the Truck Farmers, Jack & Florence...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sicilian Pasta w/Basil and Garlic

Recipe By :Jack Siri
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup basil leaves -- chopped
3 tablespoons garlic -- minced
3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1 pound pasta shells, a type with body -- cooked

Cook pasta according to directions.

In a non-stick skillet, saute onion until translucent; add garlic and saute about 2 minutes (until fragrant). Add basil and saute until wilted.

Add mixture to drained pasta and mix thoroughly. Serve either hot, warm, or cold.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Billy
  Re: Re: Hubby needs to get healthy by cjs (cis, that sure doesn...)
I can't Jean, Fredia can't handle the lemon marmalade. A little lemon juice is alright, but the marmalade with the peels in it sets her allergies off. I don't know why I can use lemon zest, maybe because I use small amounts, but a marmalade makes her allergy go bezerk.

Billy