What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta?
  Re: (...)
I have a # of this I want to use for a dish for my sons' housewarming tomorrow night. I know it would make a beautiful pasta salad, but they aren't fans of cold pasta, so I'd appreciate any ideas for something warm. I think the name loosely translates to "braids of the garden". Gotta love the Italians and their custom of naming foods after something they look like!

PJ
PJ
  Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by pjcooks (I have a # of this I...)
I don't think I've ever seen that. Guess I can't be of help PJ, sorry.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by pjcooks (I have a # of this I...)
PJ, might this work - the pasta would I'm sure...
(I'm sure I've posted this before, but...)

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe
Serving Size : 6
AL BURRO SAUCE:
6 fluid ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
1 pound Butternut squash, peeled, cut in ~1/2" chunks
1 T. Olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 T. fresh mincced sage leaves
salt & pepper
------
1 pound Penne
-------
the following are optional garnishes for the dish -
24 -36 fresh sage leaves
1" depth of veggie oil in a small fry pan
Optional adds: toasted pine nuts,

al Burro sauce:
With a mixer, beat the butter till light & fluffy; add the heavy cream gradually, beating constantly till all cream is added.
Add the Parmesan, mix just till blended; cover and reserve.

Butternut Squash:
Put the 1/2" cubes on a baking sheet and toss together with the 1 T. olive oil, minced sage, garlic, and salt & pepper.
Roast in a 400° oven for 15 - 20 min. till tender, turning the pieces once during roasting. Remove from oven and set aside.

Sage Leaves garnish:
Heat the fry pan with ~1" veggie oil till a couple of drops of water sizzle.
Drop in individual leaves top side down - after 30-45 seconds, turn over and let just brown; remove quickly w/a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Set aside.

Cook Penne according to pkg. directions, drain.

Finish dish:
Add the penne to the al burro sauce mix together well, then add the roasted butternut squash, toss gently to completely mix - add salt to taste and lots of freshly grated pepper.
Top each plate with addtl. grated parmesan and a few fried sage leaves and/or pine nuts. And, a little more freshly ground pepper, if desired.

Serving Ideas : -----
When you feel flush, try a bottle of E. Guigal Condrieu (a White Rhône wine) with this dish - delicious!!
----

I serve this hot as well -

* Exported from MasterCook *

PENNE W/TOMATOES, PESTO, ETC.

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey
Serving Size : 24

36 ounces marinated artichoke hearts -- drained, 3 T. oil reserved
3 large onion -- chopped
12 large garlic cloves -- chopped
168 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
3 cups purchased pesto
72 ounces penne pasta -- freshly cooked, save 2 cups of pasta water.
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Parmesan cheese -- for garnish
18 ounces ham -- julienned
18 ounces roasted red peppers

Heat 3 T. oil reserved from artichokes in heavy lg. pot over med-hi heat.
Add onion & garlic and sauté till onion is tender, ~7 min.
Add tomatoes w/juices & artichokes.
Simmer till sauce thickens slightly, ~8 min.
Add pesto; simmer 1 min. longer.

Mix in pasta, 1/3 cup Parmesan, ham & roasted red peppers.
Add more pasta water and/or pesto for the right texture and flavor.
Season w/salt & Pepper.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by cjs (PJ, might this work ...)
Thank you, Jean, I am sure you did post the Al Burro because I made it sometime in the last few months! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, it was very, very good. Sometimes the old mind just gets stuck in one gear, could be CRS, eh Billy?

Off for butternut.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by pjcooks (Thank you, Jean, I a...)
Yum, I love butternut. Did I ever show you the picture of the butternut I grew for Lorraine? Had her name carved in it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by bjcotton (Yum, I love butternu...)
Must be a good one, show me your pic!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by bjcotton (I don't think I've e...)
Billy, this pastas looks like tight squiggles, sort of braidish. The colors are great- black (squid) yellow (saffron), orange (carrot), etc 5, 6, 7 in all? A pasta mosiac!

Just something new to play with.

Good night!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by cjs (PJ, might this work ...)
Reporting back-this was a great party dish! I undercooked the pasta just a bit, knowing it would spend 40 minutes in a well during the drive. It was good with the penne, too, but the unusual shape and the subtle flavors of the pasta made this shine! The parm cream was just the right amount, and the sage leaves were a hit. I was a little concerned about the whole thing getting sticky and pasty in a chaffer, but it didn't.

Then again, it went so fast, who knows?

To round out my contribution, I made a half pan of chicken pot pie and a wild mushroom, fresh thyme and fresh basil tart with fontina, parm and fresh moz cheese. And I was asked to please bring the old faithfuls, Toll House and Texas Brownies.

Thanks again, Jean. I think I'll use more roasted butternut next time, everyone loved that.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What to do with Trecce Dell' Orto pasta? by pjcooks (Reporting back-this ...)
Glad it turned out for you - love the combination.

"chicken pot pie and a wild mushroom, fresh thyme and fresh basil tart with fontina, parm and fresh moz cheese." - sounds like another winner combination also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com