Pumpkin Ice Cream
  Re: (...)
This is the first I made for the party - oh my, is this good!! I'm making the 2nd batch this a.m. - hope I can stay out of it. This would make a great base to play with flavors to go with pumpkin - chocolate, caramel, chocolate, ginger, chocolate...

Pumpkin Ice Cream

2 cups whipping cream
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cognac or brandy (optional)
1 cup canned pumpkin
Plain Ice Cream Cones or Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Cones* (see directions below)

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, stirring to dissolve sugar.

2. In a small bowl beat the egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and salt. Gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture and continue to whisk until smooth. Pour the egg mixture into the cream mixture in the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture coats a metal spoon (the mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a clear trail when a finger is drawn through it), 4 to 6 minutes.

Do not boil. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Stir in the vanilla and the cognac, if desired. Whisk the pumpkin into the custard. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming; refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or overnight.

3. Pour the pumpkin custard into a 1-1/2- or 2-quart ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer¿s directions. Pack the ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving. Makes 1-1/4 quarts (ten, 1/2-cup servings).

Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones: Place 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (or 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped) in a small microwave-safe bowl or ramekin. Microwave, uncovered, on 70 percent power (medium high) for 1 minute; stir. Microwave for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes more, stirring after every 15 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Spoon chocolate over mouth of cone to cover about one-third of sides. (If chocolate is too thick to spread, stir in 1 teaspoon shortening.) Place cones, top side down, on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Chill about 15 minutes or until set.

Makes 1 1/4 quarts (ten, 1/2-cup servings)

Description:
"Better Homes and Garden"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by cjs (This is the first I ...)
This is one of my favorite flavors. One of our local ice cream shops makes it only at this time of the year and I always look forward to it. I can't wait to make this for the kids on Sunday.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by Mare749 (This is one of my fa...)
I'm not a big ice cream eater at all. I may have a cone every year or two....but I love homemade waffle cones.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by cjs (This is the first I ...)
This is a yummy sounding recipe. Thanks!! This would be great with a gingerbread or ginger snap cookie...I think I will play with this recipe.
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by dollop (This is a yummy soun...)
I'm serving this ice cream as part of the degustation - in demitasse cups and the pmpkin pie truffle garnish (with gingersnaps...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by Half_Baked (I'm not a big ice cr...)
Sure wish we had pumpkins---this would be something I would try!! The recipe is very interesting---could one use butternut squash?? Closest thing to pumpkin we have---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by Roxanne 21 (Sure wish we had pum...)
Roxanne, I wonder if sweet potatoes might work better?????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Ice Cream by cjs (Roxanne, I wonder if...)
Sweet potato is a lovely idea Jean. I am thinking the butternut might work as well. I just love butternut.