Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59
  Re: (...)
Has anyone else made this? The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of garlic, thinly sliced. Yes, I made it and I used the 1/4 cup and it just seemed like something was off. Other than that I think the roast was great. Is 1/4 cup too much? How much do you think should be used?

Thanks for any replies and/or comments!
Shelley
  Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by shelley (Has anyone else made...)
I made the Beer Braised Brisket, but haven't done that one yet. I'll check it out, a 1/4 cup of sliced garlic seems a lot.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by bjcotton (I made the Beer Brai...)
I don't know....LOL....I love garlic so much that I could almost eat it raw!!! As long as I'm home alone that is...
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by Bizymomma (I don't know....LOL....)
There aren't any vampires hanging around my house either.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
With a long slow cook, garlic does nothing but get sweeter, maybe the guinness you used?? hmmmm, interesting, I'm with the others, I don't think that's too much.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by cjs (With a long slow coo...)
Went through my most recent three-ring binder of [Email]C@H[/Email] magazines to pick this week's menus. Sunday night was Perfect Pot Roast, AKA Guinness Pot Roast. I followed the recipe, didn't measure the garlic, but used a whole head sliced thin. Made regular mashed potatoes, instead of the suggested cheddar & kale mashed.

The problem is that my oven is unreliable and wouldn't hold a temperature for 2+ hours, so I used my convection oven instead... my Dutch oven is too tall for that oven, so I switched to a deep ceramic casserole dish. I thought the difference in oven and temp would balance out, but it really didn't turn out as tender as it should have. Need to adjust time or temp until I get a new oven.

The gravy was to die for! We rated this recipe as "Exellent" and will give it another try. Warming it up for leftovers tonight and looking forward to it!
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by HomeCulinarian (Went through my most...)
I still have this one marked to try...maybe this year

Off topic a little, but H.C. about how many dishes a week do you think you choose from C@H to make? I seem to go in spurts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by cjs (I still have this on...)
We also go in spurts. I have quite a few other cookbooks that we sample from, plus the newspaper, plus ideas from this forum.

I did this week's menu alone... I definitely wanted to try the Zesty Pork Chop recipe, then I just grabbed the most recent "volume" of [Email]C@H[/Email] and flipped through looking for recipes with tomatoes and a variety of protiens. Usually my interest piques in [Email]C@H[/Email] recipes when a new magazine arrives...
Actually, I made this one yesterday for the first time, and it won't be the last! Since I never cooked until I got a complimentary copy of Cusine at Home in the mail 2 years ago, I'm still not proficient enough to alter recipes. I followed this one to the "t" (as I do most recipes), and found this one to be a knock-out. Besides being really tasty, braising is my idea of THE way to cook. What could be easier?
  Re: Re: Guinness Pot Roast - Issue 59 by Chops52 (Actually, I made thi...)
Hang around Chops, you'll be adding, subtracting, changing, trying new things in no time and, "I wonder what it'd be like if I........." will be a frequent thought about recipes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy