Mystery Box Help
  Re: (...)
Ok finals are next week for our protein segment. On Monday we are getting a mystery box. The only item we know it will contain is a whole chicken that we will have to fabricate. No clue as to the other ingredients.

We have to use the items and make a meal and write it up like it was a menu item.

Now I'm thinking something light. I will assume the box will contain items we've used like fingerling potatoes, peppers. But we'll probably have access to the pantry meaning I can get my hands on some rice etc.

Any ideas? I know this is tough. I was thinking about something on the Asian theme like a honey ginger chicken salad. But I'm not sure if we'll get the greens. We might get brussel sprouts (bleh)

Ok all you creative wonderful people - let your juices flow
  Re: Mystery Box Help by DFen911 (Ok finals are next w...)
First of all I'd say make sure you are up on all the different ways to fabricate your chicken - they may ask for a specific cut.

one idea - a dry rub(5-spice, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder) under the skin - let rest as long as possible.

Then maybe baste with a mixture of - hoisinsauce, rice wine, honey, minced garlic and ginger? while roasting?

Oh, this would look nice esepcially if a half chix. Laid over some take off on a rice dish...crunchy, fruity...lemme think. (cilantro/mint rice?)

Or serve the chix with - rice in lettuce cups
or chix three ways - with rice in lettuce cups, and a moo shu chix wrap, and a ................ hot & sour soup???

Oh, how fun this is - I'll shut up now or I'll end up going home and doing this... have fun Denise!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery Box Help by cjs (First of all I'd say...)
I wish I had a better idea of what this is all about and then I might be able to contribute----being in the third world hasn't helped my thought processes too much but I will give this some thought and see what I can come up with---BUT Jean is the wizard!!! Why not some type of Asian chicken salad too?? Change the spices a little bit and you have chicken wraps/fajitas------the mystery, interesting concept. How awesome is that---I couldn't do that!!! You'll have fun and do yourself proud!!! Just know it---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Mystery Box Help by DFen911 (Ok finals are next w...)
Nerves aside, this sounds like so much fun! At the moment, I can't think of anything different than what's already been said (this has been a long week) but when my brain unfrazzles, maybe I'll have a thought.

And, good advice, Jean, about the chicken fabrication. I wouldn't have thought about that.

Good luck and ENJOY!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mystery Box Help by cjs (First of all I'd say...)
Jean this sounds wonderful. The hardest part is we don't know what grain we'll get or what veggies. I'm trying to plan for an asian theme, latin and southern. I would love to keep the recipe light and not too heavy.

I'm guessing there will be potatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, maybe a citrus, a winter squash like butternut.

The chicken we have to fabricate into 2 breasts, 2 legs, 2 thighs, but we can cook them up however we want.

I'm looking forward to the mystery box. I'll also be interested to see what the others come up with. Some have a lot of creative talent in the class. I plan on tasting everyones