Alaria Seaweed
  Re: (...)
Bill, I have questions in to a couple of my friends, but till then, I searched out this seaweed - it's interesting. I'm not home, so I can't check out the dried seaweed that I have to see if it is Alaria - never thot to look for the type before. So, am I corrrect in thinking the oysters are wrapped in dried seaweed that has been soaked????

Looking at this website, there are some interesting ways to use it - I suppose I'll have to buy some before heading home just to play a little.

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Alaria_Kelp.htm

This one does sound interesting -

A good appetizer or salad

Dried Alaria
½ Cup Rice Vinegar
1/5 Cup Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
optional: thinly sliced Cucumber
Butter lettuce leaf or other tender green

Use scissors to cut dried Alaria seaweed into thin strips and place in bowl. Cover with warm water to rehydrate. Drain water. In small bowl or jar combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and salt, mixing well. Pour over rehydrated Alaria. Serve with wheat crackers as an appetizer. As a salad add thinly sliced cucumbers and serve on a leaf of butter lettuce. Garnish with sliced green onion. Serves 2.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Alaria Seaweed by cjs (Bill, I have questio...)
Yes it is dried and soaked as you did. The oysters are schucked and shells rinsed. The alaria is soaked and then wrapped around the oyster and it is placed on a half shell and a drop of tabasco (or more) is placed on it. It is then grilled shell side down until it steams. Then it is served hot or cold.

I wondered about the taste of the weed-that would make or break the dish.
  Re: Re: Alaria Seaweed by Old Bay (Yes it is dried and ...)
"that would make or break the dish. " - I vote it would make the dish!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com