DINNER THREAD---12/4 to 12/10/2017
  Re: DINNER THREAD---12/4 to 12/10/2017 by Mare749 (What's for dinner? ...)
I am thawing 2 duck breasts for dinner tonight.  I have some chanterelle mushrooms, and hopefully my Brussels sprouts have survived the move.  Maybe polenta?   

I'll season, pre-sear and sous vide the duck, then rest and sear in a screaming hot cast iron pan.  I was so excited to find duck breasts available in the local grocery store!  A special dinner is in order. Smile
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Oooh, I'll have to look for duck breasts at the more upscale store in town.  I've never bought them.
I haven’t thought to look for duck breasts here, either.  We have enjoyed Southern Fried Duck Breast on a light and airy waffle with a maple drizzle at Loco Jo’s a couple of times recently.  Sooo good!

Last night we had clam chowder....so cold and rainy.  

I’ve been wanting to make the Japanese Fried Chicken this week, but just didn’t have the motivation to go through the breading process.  Today, we had Spicy Chicken at Loco Jo’s and I noticed the Indy Pork Tenderloin Sandwich on the special menu....lightbulb moment!  It’s a whole pork tenderloin butterflied and pounded out to about the size of a hub cap.  Seriously!  Breaded and Fried to perfection. That’s going in the oven on a rack to reheat and crisp up in a few.  The sauce is made and French style green beans on the side.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
OMG!  Daphne!  Now I want to try that!

In WA we couldn't find just the duck breasts.  We had to buy the whole duck!!  This market is the only grocery store in town - not particularly upscale, but really amazing products!  Gluten free sections on every aisle with food!
We are going out to a seafood restaurant tonight.  I may just go for some oysters on the half shell, a cup of clam chowder and some key lime pie.  Wink

http://kingsfishhouse.net/menus/Orange/K...erMenu.pdf
Sharon, I know the owner of the restaurant.  He won’t share the recipe for the spicy chicken or their rice, but I can probably get the ingredients for the maple drizzle.  I remember the first time I tried it, I thought of Jean and how she would have gotten a kick out of ME liking a sweet and savory dish.  

Trixxee, I’m so jealous!

Several days ago, I had a flash back to a childhood favorite.  Sometimes we would have roast beef for Sunday dinner and then have it for supper piled on toast and doused in the a jus.  A while back, William picked up a whole eye of round thinking it was a tenderloin.  LOL!  Anyway, we cooked it as best we could.  It was pretty good, so I froze the half we didn’t eat.  Tonight, I’m going to reproduce that childhood favorite using some Texas garlic toast I have in the freezer and using Better then Boullion Beef base I happen to have on hand for the a jus.  Leftover salad and green beans will be the sides.
Daphne
Wow, that reminds me of my childhood, also! My mom would cook a beef roast just until it was pink, but not "moo-ing" then she might thicken the jus with only a tiny bit of cornstarch. She would slice the roast very thin and we would stack it on one slice of bread with jus over all. Yum.

Ron is out of town again for a few days. I finished Christmas shopping and made myself a fish sandwich for dinner with l/o salad.

FYI. I just love my new OXO salad spinner. My old one wasn't half as good and eventually cracked. Anyway, I found that after I wash and dry the salad, I can just store it in the OXO spinner and it stays fresh for several days! I do put a paper towel on the bottom of the basket, then put the lettuce back in. I used to do the same thing with a ziploc bag and a paper towel, and it kept fairly well that way, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Daphne the maple drizzle would be great!  We buy eye of round roasts when they are on special.  A nice long cook in the sous vide "bucket" at around 130 and it comes out pink and sooooo tender.  Bob loved it for sandwiches.  

My Mom used to do something similar.  Thin sliced roast beef on bread with her amazing beef gravy.  Yum.  

Bob requested pasta tonight . . . so I am augmenting some jarred sauce with ground beef and whatever else I can find.
William did a great job with the slicing.  It was just as yummy as I remember.

Tonight is Chicken Pot Pie.  I just LOVE this recipe!
Daphne
That sounds good Daphne!

Tonight is going to be leftovers.  We have a variety . . . and after a big lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Newport neither of us are starving.