Dinner Thread 11/20-11/27
  Re: Dinner Thread 11/20-11/27 by Trixxee (Is everyone eating l...)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Daphne, you do sound so organized. Isn't it amazing how you can put together a wonderful meal even when time is short and space is limited? How do you prepare your sweet potatoes?

Since I had a helper yesterday, we aren't rushing around like we usually do for a holiday. We are making dinner for my in-laws today, so trying to keep it low key so it's not too confusing for Lois. We're having an earlier dinner because it's better for her. Just hoping they actually show up this time. We tried to do this one other year and they didn't end up coming so we had to pack everything up and take it out to them. May have to do that again. Wink
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

I'm relaxing more than any other year.  And I'm not going to worry what time the meal gets on the table.  I think that's the key this year.

Maryann, it's so simple.  We don't like the "ropey" syrup created by corn syrup, so we slice fairly thin, sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon, drizzle with pancake syrup about half way up, and dot with a little butter.  Bake at 350 until tender, basting a couple of times.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Wow, what a good sounding recipe, Daphne. I'll have to try that, although it won't be today since it's Ron's family coming to dinner and I have to make the sweet potatoes exactly like his mom always did. They are made with butter and brown sugar, and slowly cooked in my big cast iron skillet, turning over once in a while until cooked through. We slice them about a half inch or maybe a little more.
Maryann

Maryann and Daphne, you both sound like you've got it together.

I had my endoscopy Wednesday morning, then we went for Thai food and a bunch of shopping.  I think I overdid.  Yesterday was an awful day . . . I'm not sure what is up.  Bob handled dishes for me all day.   First task, sous vide Pumpkin Pies in a Jar with a Streusel Topping.  Since we were planning on going to a get together with the other workcampers I made 17 of these little pies, double the topping.  By the time I got those done I gave it up.  Bob took a dozen little pies and some of the topping down there.  I let the "organizer" of the even know that we weren't going to make it, but that the pies were in the walk in.

We got our little turkey in the new propane pizza oven at 4,  by 6:30 it was done, I hacked my usual turkey gravy (missing celery and carrots for the stock - subbed Vegeta, and some concentrated chicken stock) just to amp up the flavor since I started so late.  We used the microwave grill pan for the asparagus and made some mashed potatoes.  The pumpkin pies were amazing!

To cap off a day of feeling awful . . . Bob took the leftover turkey down to the walkin . . . all of the pies were still there.  No one ate any of them!  WTH?  Luckily I won't ever have to socialize with these people again!  And I have enough pumpkin pie for a crowd!   

I did hack the streusel topping, no graham crackers but I had some really good Quaker gluten free almond granola.  I ground it up and added some of the same seasonings from the pie, sugar, butter and some salt and baked it off.  Perfection!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I'm sorry you had such a bad day, Sharon.  I hope you are feeling better today.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread 11/20-11/27 by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sorry you had su...)
Thank you Daphne. It was a better day. I spent most of the day packing up my beading stuff. My perfect hobby for a little old lady living in a motor home" has filled two huge (72 qt.) tubs, several smaller tool boxes, and I am thinking I'm going to need another 72 qt. tub! Geeze. Dinner will obviously will be leftovers.
Sharon, I'm sorry you had an awful day. Glad to hear you were better today. It sounds like you pulled off a terrific dinner just fine. Love the Vegeta idea for the gravy. It's my favorite new seasoning!

I hate to EVER admit to being exhausted, but today I felt like I got hit with a freight train. It's rare for me to just sit around watching TV and movies, but that's mostly what I did today. Yesterday just kind of did me in, so I needed a day to be a turtle. Wink

Tonight, we made hot turkey sandwiches for dinner. I sent most of the l/os home with the in-laws.
Maryann