Curried Rice Mix

This is a delicious idea to have on hand for a quick side dish of Curried Rice – everything ready to go and you just have to add water and butter!! And, the flavor is wonderful. Ran across this in Taste of Home magazine in February and just used the last of it the other day. I split the batch up into ~2 cup+ pouches.

SIDE DISH - VIETNAMESE - Curried Rice Mix

2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 Tbs dried minced onion
4 tsp beef bouillon granules (I used 1 packet from a Ramen Noodle pkg.)
4 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
2-1/2 cups water
2 Tbs butter

1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 2 batches.

2. To prepare rice: Combine water and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add 2 cups rice mix; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Yield: 4-6 servings per batch.
Source: Taste of Home magazine

This is a winner.

First batch I served with Caramel Chicken which was delicious – 2nd batch I used for working with the leftovers of Michael’s review dinner.
[Image: Feb%2025%20Curried%20Rice%20Mix_zpshdbkobxg.jpg]

Bonus - made the house smell so good!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Curried Rice Mix by cjs ([color=#000000][size...)
Thank you Jean! That sounds amazing. Now I need to go get raisins and almonds. That just sounds too good!
One more thing I like to do with the l/o rice - I freeze in 2 cups pkgs. so usually have some leftover from dinner. For our later 'snack' I like to use either canned soup (Campbell's tomato or mushroom) or Pacifica's Rstd. red pepper & tomato soup for a base and add l/o goodies. One of our favorites is adding the curry rice to the soup and whatever dibs and dabs of meat. so darn good. Smile Hope you try it and like the rice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Curried Rice Mix by cjs (One more thing I lik...)
I got the raisins, almonds and bouillon cubes this afternoon. Whenever we have leftover rice it is my breakfast with coconut oil and Sriracha. Maybe butter if it's easier than finding the coconut oil. We planted lemongrass and Thai basil this year and I'm hoping to get back to Asian cuisines. My friend, Berta, who is the restaurant "manager" doesn't believe in shopping and cooking the way we do. She's much more 'a la minute'. I'm more like . . . well you never know what we'll be in the mood for! We need to do a "mystery box" or "freezer dive" dinner again - except that it seems like there is no one left Sad
" except that it seems like there is no one left Sad " - yup!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Curried Rice Mix by cjs (" except that it see...)
Jean I got "everything" for the rice . . . somehow missed the "diced mixed dry fruit"! I have dried apricots . . . can I use those?

OMG! Jean! We are madly in love with this rice! Awesome! Mind blowing. I used Penzey's "Now" Curry Powder that has a lot lighter notes, lots of lemongrass. To die for! Thank you so much!
The rice looks very good.
sure, I would use any combination
www.achefsjourney.com
That dish looks delicious, Jean. Will have to try that one for sure.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Smile
www.achefsjourney.com