Michael's Graduation Dinner & Review
Heart    
This month, in honor of Trixxee's son, Michael, we are celebrating his graduation from high school.  We have all shared in this young man's success for the last several years now (probably 10) and could not be more proud of him and his amazing parents.  CONGRATULATIONS all around!!!

Please join us for this celebration dinner.  Reviews will be due July 3, but can be posted on the 2nd, due to the holiday.  Wink

From the new issue:

CUBANO CHICKEN WITH MUSTARD SAUCE

2 Tbsp. minced lime zest
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5-6 oz. each)
4 pieces thinly sliced ham
½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
¼ cup milk
3 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. kosher dill pickle relish
4 baguette slices, cut on the bias, 1-inch thick
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper -- to taste

1. Whisk together zest, lime juice, 1/3 cup oil, honey, onion, garlic and 1 tsp. salt in a bowl.  Set aside marinade, reserving half for Hot Mangoes & Peppers. (see recipe)

2. Pound chicken breasts to ½-inch thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet.  Marinate chicken with half the marinade, turning to coat.  Cover bowl and refrigerate chicken 15 minutes.

3. Whisk together milk, mustard, mayonnaise, and pickle relish for the sauce in a small saucepan; cook over low heat while chicken grills.

4. Preheat grill to medium-high.  Brush grill grate with oil.  Remove chicken from marinade. Discard marinade.

5. Grill chicken, covered, 4 minutes.  Flip chicken; top each breast with a folded slice of ham and 2 Tbsp. cheese.  Grill chicken until cheese melts, 4 minutes more; remove from grill and keep warm.

6. Coat baguette slices with 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper.  Toast bread on grill, 1 minute per side.

7. Serve chicken over grilled bread; drizzle with mustard sauce.

Servings: 4

Source: Cuisine@Home, July/Aug. 2017
------------------------------------------------

HOT MANGOES & PEPPERS  (also from July/Aug. 2017

2 mangoes, peeled and halved
1 each red, yellow, and green bell pepper, halved, stemmed and seeded
Marinade reserved from Cubano Chicken

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.  Brush grill grate with oil.

2. Toss mangoes and peppers with reserved marinade from Cubano Chicken.  Remove mangoes and peppers from marinade, reserving marinade; grill, covered, 2 minutes.

3. Flip mangoes and peppers and grill 1 minute more; transfer to a cutting board.  When cool enough to handle, slice mangoes and peppers into strips; toss with marinade until coated.

Servings: 4
-------------------------------------------------

HONEYDEW MOJITO with cucumber simple syrup

To make things really easy, the simple syrup and melon juice can be made ahead and refrigerated, separately.

½ cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup grated, peeled and seeded English cucumber, divided
1 honeydew melon, chopped (about 8 cups)
2/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup white rum
½ cup fresh lime juice
2 cups club soda

1. Heat water, sugar, and ¼ cup cucumber in a saucepan over medium-high for the simple syrup until sugar dissolves.  Off heat, stir remaining ¼ cup cucumber into syrup; let cool to room temperature, then strain and discard solids.

2. Muddle mint in a pitcher with simple syrup until fragrant.  Stir in melon juice, rum, and lime juice; chill.  Just before serving, stir in club soda and serve over ice.

Yield: 7 cups
Source: Cuisine@Home July/Aug. 2017
--------------------------------------------------------------------
SPARKLING PINK LEMONADE with fresh raspberries

For festive flare, serve drinks over mint ice cubes. Just place fresh mint leaves in ice cube trays with water, freeze, and enjoy.

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries
1½ cups fresh lemon juice
1 bottle Prosecco (750ml)
Fresh mint leaves

1. Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high for the simple syrup until sugar dissolves, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.

2. Purée raspberries in a mini food processor, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, then press through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids.

3. Whisk together simple syrup, raspberry purée, and lemon juice; chill completely. Just before serving, stir Prosecco into lemonade; serve over ice and garnish with mint leaves.

Yield: 7½ cups
Source: Cuisine@Home July/Aug. 2017
----------------------------------------------
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Michael's Graduation Dinner & Review by Mare749 (This month, in honor...)
I certainly want to join in the celebration of Michael's successes which we all have felt a small part of for so long!! Smile Your choices sound tasty and fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Michael's Graduation Dinner & Review by cjs (I certainly want to ...)
I would love to join in. It will depend on work.
Gosh - this all sounds fantastic.  Thanks for pulling this together Maryann.  Looking forward to both the sandwich and the cocktail.  Wink
You are welcome and so am I! Thinking of adding another cocktail to the menu just because....

ETA: And I did. Look above.
Maryann

Aha!! Better and better! Thanks Maryann Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I haven't succeeded in participating in the last few, but I will try!  I like the choice, and so will William, for sure! And participating in Michael's honor is extra motivation!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Today is the day for us for Michael's Dinner!!!! Smile Smile Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Yay! Don't forget the cocktail! Big Grin
Maryann

Making this this weekend!