Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

We have a special dinner today. I'm still down-sizing and finally got to our wall-hanging pictures!! I have always had pictures hanging everywhere in our houses. But, this one being so small and it's almost all windows created a real problem.

I went thru all the pictures - removing from frames, keeping what pictures I couldn't part with and ended up with 5 boxes of frames. Some friends came over and grabbed up 3 boxes of them and for payment, I asked him (who is a very good cook) for a dinner from a book I leant him (still don't have it back ) of Julia and Jacques. And, I wanted caviar and champagne.

Long story short - we're going to pig out today!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We have some l/o chicken so thinking of making chicken salad for sandwiches on whole grain bread and a crunchy chopped salad on the side.

I just don't know how people from the south live with this hot weather all summer. It's suffocating!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Mare749 (We have some l/o chi...)
Not really the type of weather for this but I don't want to rock the boat so I'm keeping mum about the ham and bean soup Tony is making. He makes a great soup but like many across the nation we are having really hot weather.

I have a cranberry/corn bread mix from the Honey Baked Ham store I might make (but that means putting the oven on!).

By the way, the grilled cilantro fish with coconut broth Daphne shared was phenomenal. Next time we go to Costco I'll pick up more tilapia loins to make this again. I'm going to post my picture on the Cuisine at Home FB page. It was very restauranty. Thanks D!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Trixxee (Not really the type ...)
I'm so glad you like it Trixxee! I'll have to sneak into FB and check out your picture!

Today I've really pushed myself! We went MEGA shopping right after church and I haven't really sat down yet. I'm almost done prepping and freezing except for two things. One I have a question about, but I'll put that on a separate thread.

Tonight we are having Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm so glad you like...)
Trixxee, I ended up making soup today, too. We eat it any time around here. There is something about making a pot of soup that makes you feel that all is right with the world.

I had l/o ham broth and 3 slices of ham from the other day. So, today I made a ham/potato/corn chowder and ended up with 3 quarts. So, we'll have a cup of that with our chicken sandwiches and I will freeze the rest.

Would someone steer me in the right direction to find the recipe for the fish dish you are all raving about?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Mare749 (Trixxee, I ended up ...)
Maryann - I posted the recipe along with my picture on C@H's FB page.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Trixxee (Maryann - I posted t...)
Very pretty, Trixee! I think I'm going to try it with Ramen next time instead of rice. Just a few floating in the broth.

Maryann, I think you guys would like it. Lots of light Asian flavors in the broth. And for a former cilantro hating family, the cilantro paste on the chicken is perfect with the broth. This is one of William's favorites. When he hears its on the menu, he gets almost giddy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Our restaurant manager and our dear friend Berta & her hubby came for cocktails & appies today.

We started out with veggies - organic multi colored radishes cut into ribbons on the spiralizer, cucumber sticks with chile lime salt, hummus with gluten free crostini (done in our pizza oven). My tahinni had gone bad so had to whip up some fresh (OMG - the difference is amazing! ) Marinated olives/peppers/artichoke hearts with feta cheese.

2nd course - smoke Jalapeno poppers, cheese & crackers (smoked goat gouda and Berta brought a classic comfort cheese - cream cheese with slice olives and ham slices rolled around pickled asparagus (she made the asparagus).

Final course . . . kinda fell apart. We were going to have Buffalo Wings (wings cooked sous vide, dusted in rice flour and deep fried) and potato chips (spiralized). Poor Bob, he was so organized and helpful - until he heated the oil in the deep fryer with the basket handle in the oil . . . oooops! Bob put the rice flour dusted wings in the pizza oven . . . Berta and I ran down to the restaurant and did the fries in the big fryer. We served the wings with Bourbon Cherry BBQ sauce and the "chips" with a Truffle aioli!

Berta and I had Basil Margaritas to start the party! What a wonderful dinner, a splendid evening . . . and a little sad - they are leaving next weekend.

We now have no restaurant manager - just two young women with no work ethic and no idea how to manage a restaurant. One of them the customers love - the other . . not so much. We are so screwed . . . again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Harborwitch (Our restaurant manag...)
We had prime 1 3/4 inch strip steaks (on sale) seasoned with heavy sprinkles of Grandma Behrendt's seasoned pepper and some seasoned salt. Fried potatoes and green peas accompanied them. Served with Pirouette Bordeaux blend from Washington States Long Shadows vineyards. Everything was delicious! Leftovers look good too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/24/16?? by Old Bay (We had prime 1 3/4 i...)
Good sounding menu, Sharon. Are cooking there at all??

" Pirouette Bordeaux blend from Washington States Long Shadows vineyards."
hmmm, will have to look for this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com