Work time: 25 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes

Sift:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Chop:
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes (NOTE:the coconut in the batter is chopped, but for the outside and between layers, it's not. Fluff coconut on a plate before measuring it).
Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
Add:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
Combine:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 t. imitation coconut flavor
Beat to soft peaks; Fold in:
3 egg whites
To assemble and finish:
2 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes

1)Start the prep work. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 Celsius. Grease bottoms only of three 8"round cake pans. Top with parchment circles. Measure then sift dry ingredients. Chop coconut; add to dry mix.
2) In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter at medium speed just until creamy. Add the sugar and egg yolks all at once and beat, only until incorporated. Scrape the bowl as needed.
3) Combine milk and flavoring. Add 3/4 cup flour mixture and 1/2 cup milk mixture alternately to creamed mixture. Beat (low speed) after each addition to incorporate. Begin and end with flour.
4) Use a clean bowl and beaters to beat egg whites until soft peaks form--they should be glossy and firm. Gently, but thoroughly, fold the whites into the batter with a wire whisk.
5) Divide batter among prepared pans. Spread evenly to edges, making a slight "well" in the center so cake won't dome as it rises. Bake all three pans on center rack of oven for 25-30 minutes.
6) Insert a toothpick in cake center. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge; invert onto a rack. Remove parchment; cool. Wrap layers in plastic; freeze 1 hour.

LIME FILLING
(Makes 1 3/4 cups)
Work time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Combine and heat:
3/4 cup fresh lime juice, strained
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
Combine:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
Combine and add:
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
Off heat, add:
1 t. vanilla extract

7) Start the lime filling by combining the juice and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts.
8) Meanwhile, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small bowl. Combine eggs in another bowl. Whisk sugar mixture into eggs until smooth.
9) Slowly drizzle the lime juice mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. You need to pour slowly or the eggs will scramble.
10) Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until thick, 8-10 minutes. Off heat, stir in the vanilla.
11) Place the filling in a bowl; press plastic wrap on surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill completely. It MUST be cold when you assemble the cake.

COCONUT-CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
(Makes 3 1/2 cups)
Work time: 10 minutes
Beat together:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T. whole milk
1 t. imitation coconut flavor
Beat in:
6 1/2-7 cups powdered sugar

Editor's note: This frosting will start to set as it sits. Not a problem--just keep your beater handy, and rebeat as many times as necessary during frosting process--it'll cream perfectly over and over. Rebeating helps it spread easily, coconut will stick better.

12) In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on high for 1 minute, until very creamy. Add milk and coconut flavor, beating on low to incorporate. Add powdered sugar 2 cups at a time, beating well after each addition. Add final 1/2-1 cup; beat 2 minutes on high. Frosting should be stiff but spreadable.

13) With small spatula, spread 1/2 cup frosting 1/4"from edge of layer. Make a dam by spreading more frosting toward edge to hold the lime filling.
14) Spread 1/3 cup lime filling inside dam. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup coconut. Place a second layer; repeat process. Place top layer and freeze 1-2 hours.
15)Rebeat the frosting. Remove cake from freezer. Using large spatula to spread a thin, smooth coat of frosting (crumb coat) over entire cake.
16) Rebeat remaining frosting and spread on top and sides of cake. Smooth frosting evenly, but don't fuss--coconut covers a multitude of flaws.
17) Use 2 cups coconut to sprinkle top and press onto sides of cake. Gather excess coconut; keep pressing until covered.

WHEW!!!!

I hope this is easier to make than the typing was---LOL. I have not made this and am very curious to know what your opinion is once you have created this masterpiece. I wished my hubby liked coconut!!

BON APPETIT!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Coconut cake by Roxanne 21 (COCONUT CAKE[br][br]...)
I made this about 3 years ago, entered it into a United Way Bake Off Fundraiser and won first prize. It's a lengthy recipe but well worth the effort!
  Re: Re: Coconut cake by spyce (I made this about 3 ...)
Oooh, nice! I made it too but without the lime filling, which would've made it sooo much better! My son didn't want the lime filling, but does next time. I also used toasted coconut, and it was yummy.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Coconut cake by TwilightKitten (Oooh, nice! I made i...)
Nice to have feedback--thanks y'all. I think I will make this recipe---dear hubby may like it if he thinks I spent many hours "slaving" over a new dessert!! He's great when it comes to effort and at least trying---he will have compliments but may not really prefer to have it again--we shall see. I LOVE new challenges!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy