Italian Sausage Recipe?
  Re: (...)
(Jean, you may have a recipe for this in the Pizza, Pizza, Pizza! book, but I moved the book over the holiday and can't locate it right now.)

Okay you guys, I am trying to find a good heart healthy recipe for Italian Sausage. I figured one made with ground chicken or turkey would be the way to go. At this point, this seems pretty good, but a couple of things don't make sense. First, the fennel is not toasted and second, they are not crushed.

Chicken Italian Sausage Recipe

Feel free to advise! But if one of you has a tried and true recipe, I'd love to see it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom ((Jean, you may have ...)
I have a new favorite that I developed about a year ago. Spicy Turkey Sausage. I play with the amount of bacon I add according to how healthy I want different batches to be. It give a nice flavor. Most times I just add the ingredients and don't toast the fennel, but do what you like there. Hope you like it if you try it.

Spicy Hot Italian Turkey Sausage

a Chef's Journey recipe. First made 7/26/12 – so very good and spicy

4 1/4 lb ground turkey
3/4 lb bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Heaping tablespoon fennel seed
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
Heaping teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs cold water
--------------------------
Casings, medium hog or not (I prefer bulk sausage)

1. Combine the turkey, bacon, and remaining ingredients except water in a large bowl. Grind through a 3/8-inch plate. Moisten with the water and mix until well blended.

2. If using casings, stuff and tie at 5-inch intervals.

3. If leaving for bulk sausage, divide into amounts that work for your family.

Author Notes
This is spicy hot and doesn't taste like other bland turkey sausage I've tried. Adapted from Hot Links and Country Flavors, Bruce Aidells and S. Kelly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by cjs (I have a new favorit...)
Jean, is this one where I could halve the cayenne and hot pepper flakes and do a test to adjust the heat? We don't care for a lot of heat.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, is this one wh...)
Of course - any sausage, just use less quantities to start and fry up a little pattie to try and increase in balance of sausage if necessary. Remember it's almost 5 lbs. of meat you are seasoning.

But, we don't like hot, hot either, so I'll be interested to see if you don't add the entire amount that I use for us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by cjs (Of course - any saus...)
Thanks, Jean! It will probably be a few weeks after grades go out before I get to it....lots of catching up to do after my disastrous holiday!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! It wi...)
Curious....somebody gave William a huge pork loin. Would that be an okay substitute for the turkey meat here? I know turkey is better for you, just looking for ideas to use this big hunk of meat.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Curious....somebody ...)
Sure, lean pork would be good and you wouldn't have to add much bacon....hmmmm, just brainstorming here, but maybe instead of adding any bacon, a drop or two of liquid smoke would do it. But, you do need a tad of fat for texture and flavor.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by cjs (Sure, lean pork woul...)
I think a little of the turkey bacon wouldn't hurt? Told him to pick some up while at the store. He loves making sausage, so this will give him a fun project for this afternoon! We'll do some jerky with part of it and cube some up for stew. That should make good use of the loin!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I think a little of ...)
Okay, the sausage is awesome! Very lean with a lot of texture, but it will be great in spaghetti. I can't wait to try it with turkey!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Sausage Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, the sausage is...)
What recipe did you use?? So glad you found what you both liked!!!
www.achefsjourney.com