Caviar Pie Update
  Re: Re: Caviar Pie Update by cjs (Wish I had some righ...)
Safeway had beautiful fresh whitefish caviar. I just didn't want to buy the lumpfish that was "pasturized" and had no expiration date.

I am thinking I'm going to play with this with some smoked salmon. Kind of a "luxe" thing - but what the heck!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Caviar Pie Update by Harborwitch (Safeway had beautifu...)
Here you go, Jody - hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. This picture doesn't do it justice. I make a miniature one now when we're in the trailer and it's not as spectacular as using an 8-inch springform pan. But, just as tasty!!

And don't forget the 'grating' trick for the eggs, made that process a piece of cake!!

CAVIAR "PIE"

6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
~3 T. mayo
1 lg. sweet onion, finely chopped
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sour cream
7 T. (3 1/2 oz) Caviar
Lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish

Grease bottom and side of 8" springform pan.
In a bowl, combine eggs and mayo till well blended.
Spread in bottom of pan to make an even layer.
Sprinkle with onion.

Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat till smooth. By the spoonful, drop onto onion.

With a wet table knife, spread gently to smooth. Cover. Chill three hrs. or overnite.

At party time, gently rinse the caviar in a sieve, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan.

Run knife around sides of pan; loosen and lift off sides. Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel. Fill center with parsley sprigs.

Serve with small pieces of pumpernickel bread. 10-12 serve. Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar is suggested.

Description:
"This is one of about 10 recipes in this book that I have made at least once or twice a year since first making it. During my catering years, folks love(d) this and always a hit with everyone!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[Image: Sept22PreppingeggsforCaviarPie_zps6afe06a6.jpg]

[Image: Dec31-DeniseandCaviarPie_zpsbcaa018f.jpg]

That's Denise sneaking in last New Year's eve....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Caviar Pie Update by cjs (Here you go, Jody - ...)
I've done this dish twice now and it's a hit every single time! Yes it is that good