A Kindle Question
  Re: (...)
I'm having fun learning this. I went ahead and joined the Prime thingee which I think will be great for traveling.

But, now I'm finding out you can only borrow one book a month on the Prime program. Is there any way around this to be able to borrow more than that a month?

This is thru Amazon, but I guess even other lending libraries have to go thru Amazon to send to my kindle - is that right?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Kindle Question by cjs (I'm having fun learn...)
Geez, I just answered my own question - thru my library.

But, this brings up another question. My library system is very small. I have access to an address in Mesa, AZ that I could 'collect' another library card for their library. Can I use the same email address for another library card in another part of the U.S.?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by cjs (Geez, I just answere...)
I don't see why not, Jean. Lots of people live in a warmer climate for part of the year. You're going to love borrowing from the library!

For additional help, I believe there is a phone number you can call for help with your Kindle, and they could tell you how to link that library to your Kindle.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by Mare749 (I don't see why not,...)
thanks Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by cjs (thanks Maryann....)
Jean, I started looking for an answer to your question, and found this page, but have not read it yet. It has to do with finding libraries to borrow from, so will probably be able to answer your question.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...odeId=200747550
Maryann

Re: Re: A Kindle Question by Mare749 (Jean, I started look...)
You could also try the Open Library to see if you can find the book(s) you seek there.

Otherwise, don't forget to check ManyBooks for books that are in the public domain (i.e. NO copyright so you can download them permanently -not just a loan - free).

Also be sure to check Pixel of Ink several times a day (or go through multiple pages at the end of the day) to find free ebooks (many are just short stories, but that's okay) being given away.

There's plenty out there to keep anyone busy for a LONG time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by labradors (You could also try t...)
Labs, the Open Library just takes me back to my local library where I'm registered, doesn't it??

Also, I'm afraid to keep loading books until I figure out how to save the da-- things to the da-- 'Cloud' thing. It's driving me crazy....

but, I will keep a note of these you mention

and, thanks Maryann, I'll take a look at the site.

P.S. - Good Lord, I could get in real trouble on "Pixel of Ink" - I just loaded up 4 books. Now, I really have to learn about cloud.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by cjs (Labs, the Open Libra...)
I feel like such a beginner on my Kindle even though I've had it for 4 months. I've only paid and downloaded one book so far and it's saved on my device. Why would someone save it to the cloud instead? Because the device runs out of room? If you save it to the cloud does that mean you have to have reliable wi-fi access at the time you then want to read it to access it?

I tried to access some shows (free with Amazon Prime) in Hawaii, we had wi-fi access with our condo and I could not get my shows to load on to the Kindle. Just timed out. Did not try to read a cloud book as I didn't have any. It must not have been very strong wi-fi access. It was a little frustrating. Until I grabbed a real book and a mai tai and sat on the lanai.
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by cjs (Labs, the Open Libra...)
Quote:

Labs, the Open Library just takes me back to my local library where I'm registered, doesn't it??

Open Library searches through all the libraries in its system. Sometimes, some things in places other than your own "Overdrive" library will have things you can borrow.

Quote:

Also, I'm afraid to keep loading books until I figure out how to save the da-- things to the da-- 'Cloud' thing. It's driving me crazy....

Not sure about that: I just have the basic Kindle, not the Fire, so I haven't heard anything "cloud" related to it.

As for keeping a backup, just attach the Kindle to your computer via USB and look for the drive named "Kindle." Copy anything (including all sub-folders) in there to your hard drive and you'll have a backup.

The "Documents" sub-folder is where you'll copy books that you download to your computer from sources other than Amazon, so take note of that so you remember it for later.

Quote:

P.S. - Good Lord, I could get in real trouble on "Pixel of Ink" - I just loaded up 4 books. Now, I really have to learn about cloud.

When you download books from Amazon - even those freebies from "Pixel of Ink" - Amazon keeps track of that in your account, so you'll always be able to get those back.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Kindle Question by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"When you download books from Amazon - even those freebies from "Pixel of Ink" - Amazon keeps track of that in your account, so you'll always be able to get those back."

That is the cloud. When you purchase or borrow a book, it is automatically stored in the cloud. If you purchase the book, it stays there forever. If it's on loan from the library, it will be deleted from your Kindle on the due date.

When you are finished with a book that you don't have to return, you can delete it from your Kindle, but it will go into your archives, (in the cloud) so you will always be able to transfer it back if you want to read it again.
Maryann