New issue, No. 93 has arrived
  Re: (...)
Maybe some of you already got it while I was away. Have only spent a short time this morning looking through it, but my initial opinion is that this is a good one. There is a lot of variety for summer using fresh ingredients, and fewer high calorie recipes than the last few issues.

On page 6, the issue regarding the use of tamarind in the Pad Thai recipe from issue 91 is addressed.

There is a nice section on Cuban small plates. I will be interested to hear what Alina thinks about that. There is another section on marinades and techniques that looks good. The featured "market fresh salads" look delicious, as well as many of the side dishes.

One of the first dishes that I will want to make for a family dinner is the "Stove-top Clambake."
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by Mare749 (Maybe some of you al...)
No, haven't gotten mine yet. I'll be interested to read what they have to say about the Tamarind.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by cjs (No, haven't gotten m...)
I just got mine yesterday. I was going to also point out the comments on the pad Thai recipe.

I have yet to try fresh tuna. Might try this one. And the Macadamia Nut-crusted Mahi Mahi looks good. Tandoori chicken thighs and the daiquiri cupcakes will probably be on the list too.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by esgunn (I just got mine yest...)
Jean, the bottom line...there are different types of tamarind. They also suggest starting with less and tasting as you go. IMHO, this should have been made clear to begin with. I would have to go back and look at that issue to see if it was, but I don't think so.
Maryann

Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by Mare749 (Jean, the bottom lin...)
@Erin: Fresh tuna may as well be a different animal. Even just the smell (let alone the taste) of canned tuna bothers my stomach, but fresh tuna - especially grilled or broiled, is a thing of beauty. The centre part still isn't my favourite, but at least it's not the gastrointestinal nightmare than canned tuna is.

@Maryann: I don't recall there being tamarind in ANY Pad Thai I've ever had (and I LOVE tamarind, so I would have noticed it). That said, I do agree that the amount of tamarind should be increased only gradually - especially by those who have never used it before. Another suggestion would be NOT to rely entirely upon tasting that tamarind is like on its own, otherwise you may never like it at all. It's one of those ingredients that works in concert with other things and can be very by itself.

Dang! Now you've got me salivating and craving tamarind again! LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by labradors (@Erin: Fresh tuna ma...)
Labs, I don't know where you were during this fiasco with Tamarand and Pad Thai... but here's the thread

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...true#Post132608
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by labradors (@Erin: Fresh tuna ma...)
Quote:

@Erin: Fresh tuna may as well be a different animal. Even just the smell (let alone the taste) of canned tuna bothers my stomach, but fresh tuna - especially grilled or broiled, is a thing of beauty. The centre part still isn't my favourite, but at least it's not the gastrointestinal nightmare than canned tuna is.

Somewhat OT, but whatever...the wine is kicking in!

Canned tuna is the reason I've never tried tuna any other way. Just the smell of it turns my stomach in the teachers' lunchroom. My sons grew up without every having a tuna salad sandwich in their lunchboxes, and were stunned when they went away to college and liked it. (Isn't it funny how childhood food traumas can so totally affect what you offer to your children?) Maybe I'll have to give it a try in an appetizer-size serving, of course!
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Speaking of Tamarind...where are you guys getting yours? I checked with Penzey's spices where I get pretty much all my spices thru and even they don't sell it.
  Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by DFen911 (Speaking of Tamarind...)
I purchase mine at an Asian grocery store, but have seen it in specialty sections at supermarkets as well. It probably depends a lot on the local population. We have an actual "Chinatown" here with many different stores including Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Thai. Outside of Chinatown, we have several Indian stores, but the type of tamarind they use is completely different from Thai.
Maryann

Re: Re: New issue, No. 93 has arrived by Mare749 (I purchase mine at a...)
@Jean: You know, I remember READING that thread, but don't remember why I didn't speak up then. I think it was mostly because it was an actual C@H recipe, I'm not a subscriber AND, where I live, I buy FRESH tamarind and would not be able to contribute much when the discussion turns to brands of tamarind paste/concentrate.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?