Pork Belly Reuben
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Reuben by cjs (got that right, Barb...)
If you're going for exactly what they made, you forgot the 'kraut. But if you're going for a fusion, I think you got the first one dead on. The second one is exactly what I saw. I like the way they grilled the meat in the second one to give it some crispiness.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Reuben by Gourmet_Mom (If you're going for ...)
Did they put sauerkraut on the first one, Daphne?? Boy, I completely missed that, duh!! I'll go add it. thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

-----

O.K., Bill, shall we do one in October/November???????????????

Let's do this!!!!!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Quote:

got that right, Barbara!!

I just typed up the two sandwiches and I'll post them here, if anyone is intrested. Please look it over if you are and let me know if I read/heard something different re the methods. (don't want to go where Labs cashew cheese is going to go...)

Bunk Pork Belly Reuben Sandwich

Dry Rub:
1 T. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. kosher salt
1/2 T. ground coriander
1/2 T. dried oregano

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container until ready to use.

Trim the skin off the pork belly and rub both sides with the dry rub. Lay on a rack placed in a b. sheet. Top the belly with minced garlic, a sprinkling of thyme and just the slightest sprinkle of nutmeg. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to cure in the refrigerator for 2 days.

Remove the belly from the refrigerator and slow cook it for 4 hours at 250° to 275° F. Let the pork belly tell you when it’s ready; the fat will have been rendered mostly out, if not allow to cook longer. Allow to cool before slicing for the sandwich.

To make the sandwich:
Slice Pumpernickel (dark rye) bread
Russian dressing (made with a little Worcestershire sauce and tad of bacon fat added to the mix)
Swiss Cheese
Pork belly slices
layer of sauerkraut
Freshly ground black pepper
Butter other side of another slice of bread and top the sandwich butter side down
Grill/brown the sandwich over a moderately high temperature to quickly brown both sides in an oven-proof skillet (or transfer to an oven-proof skillet after grilling) and transfer to a preheated oven and allow to get hot through.

Nosh’s Version of Pork Belly Reuben Sandwich

Pork belly – can be done as above
A batch of caramelized onions (to represent the sauerkraut)
Cheddar cheese slices (to replace the Swiss)
1,000 Island dressing

To make the sandwich:
Grill Rye bread (light rye) on both sides
Grill slices of pork belly, cover the slices with a weight and when hot, top the slices with caramelized onions, and cheddar cheese; cover with a lid to heat through.
Brush 1,000 Island over one side of bread slices and with a spatula place the pork/onion/cheese on one slice and cover with the other slice.

-----

O.K., Bill, shall we do one in October/November???????????????

This is missing fennel seed. How do I know? Mine is in the fridge ready to be cooked tomorrow! Fennel is shown on the show. I don't recall the coriander though. Hmmm. I better watch it again. But fennel is there for sure!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Reuben by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
How much fennel seed, Laura?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Reuben by cjs (How much fennel seed...)
1 Tablespoon.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Reuben by luvnit (1 Tablespoon....)
thank you ma'am. it is added.
www.achefsjourney.com

I have a Mario Batali manual cast Iron out of a catalog which I love. If they still sell them.
  Re: Pork Belly Reuben by Old Bay (I saw this on Travel...)
Old Bay!  Good to see you!  Gee this thread has so many memories!

Please stick around, I would love to see this forum survive.

Hugs to you and Jane!  How are you guys?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Pork Belly Reuben by Old Bay (I saw this on Travel...)
Hi Bill and Jane! Yes, please do stick around. So many of our dear friends have wandered off.... Sad
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."