What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28
  Re: (...)
What's everyone up to??

We're having leftover Pork Adobo - C@H Slow cooker recipe I did earlier this week - but, this time I have the mango and papaya for the salsa, so will probably be better.

Made some Canadian Bacon yesterday and tried it this morning with Blueberry Pancakes - the bacon was delicious, but the blueberry pancakes...not so great.

[Image: CIMG0884.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0887.jpg]

HOpe everyone has a great weekend.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
Jean, that Canadian Bacon looks sooo good. I think that may have to be my next smoking experience. (Must remember to get a pork loin next weekend!)

I'm all alone tonight. William went to help YS move. I'm thinking about treating myself to the Chicken Parmesan Roulades, but I haven't decided yet. If I made that, I'd have to go to the store. So I may raid the fridge and see if I've got something else I can stuff the chicken with.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
Shrimp with a curry sauce---YUMMMM and a salad. Perfect when one is alone and not too complicated.

Have a GREAT week-end y'all!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by Roxanne 21 (Shrimp with a curry ...)
Fried chicken and fresh Jersey corn!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by BarbaraS (Fried chicken and fr...)
Porterhouse steaks No clue about sides yet. I'm thinking a mac & cheese made with Gorgonzola.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by DFen911 (Porterhouse steaks [...)
Oh thanks a lot - look what the skinniest ones in the group are going to wave in front of us......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by cjs (Oh thanks a lot - lo...)
The Canadian bacon looks like a 5 star. I have no idea what we are eating. Looks likea sandwich night since our kitchen is still in disarray.
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by Ennui (The Canadian bacon l...)
Well, a final review on the C@H Slow Cooker recipe - Pork Adobo with Tropical fruit salsa and the side of rice cakes.

The only good thing about the whole recipe was the fruit salsa - but how can you go wrong with pineapple, mango, papaya, green onions and rice vinegar??? It was delicious.

The flavor of the pork was nice, but the jus from cooking was just superfluous, imo - what to do with it? Thicken for a gravy, didn't sound appetizing; drizzle over the meat and rice? that's what we did, but...

And, the rice cakes did not work at all - as I was mixing them, I thought there was no way they would hold together, but I went ahead and tamped them into molds and allowed them to rest for a couple hours. They disintegrated the minute they hit the skillet. so, a bastardized version of fried rice resulted.

A big slash through page 69!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by cjs (Well, a final review...)
Well, it turned out to be some pretty good fried chicken. I triple coated the pieces and used a chicken breader but added more salt and pepper. This was from issue #56. Lodge cast iron rocks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 8/28 by BarbaraS (Well, it turned out ...)
I agree, Barbara, that's the only way to make fried chicken, IMHO! Thanks for the review.

Looks like I forgot to post yesterday. Holly had the family over. Bob grilled chicken, and we had the best corn on the cob we have had all summer. I made a chile relleno casserole, but added a layer of zukes, onions, and topped with tomatoes. We had marinaded vegs, and Heather made cornbread. We were stuffed.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."