Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6!
  Re: (...)
We were going to run down the hill for dinner tonight, but changed my mind! I want to grill and be outside. I'm so excited about this weather.

What's on the menu for everyone?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by cjs (We were going to run...)
Yea! Sun! It is a long gym day. I will get out while I can.

I think Salsa chicken in the crock pot and soft tacos for dinner!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by cjs (We were going to run...)
I wanted to try out a new Korean Rib recipe, but they have to marinade overnight...they were still frozen last night. So that will have to wait for tomorrow. So instead, I'm going to make a Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Garlic (but on the grill) with a side of Heirloom Tomato Bread Pudding (from a new magazine I've found called YUM) and salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by Gourmet_Mom (I wanted to try out ...)
Still roasting hot here in NY. I've got some pesto in the fridge so probbly have that. But will not rule out another dinner on the boat thing
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by farnfam (Still roasting hot h...)
Jean asked about the bread pudding recipe, so I figured I'd post it here. I'll let you know how it turns out....sadly, no heirlooms, but fresh ripe 'maters are coming off around here, now. (Mine are about ripe, but I'll have to depend on other folks today.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Heirloom Tomato Bread Pudding

Recipe By :Chef Michael Schwartz
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound bread -- like brioche
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups onion -- diced
2 tablespoons garlic -- finely chopped
3 pounds tomatoes -- peeled, seeded, drained, and diced
1/2 teaspoon rosemary -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon Italian parsley -- coarsely chopped
7 eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup Asiago Cheese -- grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated

Preheat oven to 325. Cut bread into half inch cubes. Spread a single layer on a rimmed sheet pan. Toast until golden brown.

Saute the onions in oil and butter until translucent. Add garlic and cook until aromatic.

Combine the tomatoes and herbs in a large bowl. Reserve.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl just to combine. Add the milk, cream and salt, and stir lightly.

Toss the Asiago with the bread and tomato mixture.

Pour the egg mixture over the bread and tomato mixture and divide equally among eight 8 ounce buttered ramekins. Top each with parmesan cheese.

Place ramekins in a baking dish cook in a water bath for 35 minutes and then broil until the top is crispy and browned.

Description:
"From the garden to your table, you can make this simple dish that has a great, fresh flavor. Serve it as an appetizer, main course- even a dessert. Just be prepared for the enamel being scraped off your plates."
Source:
"Yum magazine page 54-55"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Suggested Wine: Barbera d'Alba

Serving Ideas : Place each ramekin on a dish, accompanied by a side of lightly dressed greens.

OOPS! I just realized I'd posted the amended recipe for my dinner tonight! (I'm halving the recipe since there's only two of us.)
Daphne
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean asked about the...)
Oh boy, does that sound good! Thanks Daphne, copied and saved!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by Mare749 (Oh boy, does that so...)
thanks again Daphne
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by cjs (thanks [i]again[/i]...)
Jean, be sure to delete the other recipe if you copied it....like I said, I skipped the tomatoes, of all things. LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, be sure to del...)
That Tomato Bread Pudding sounds delicious. I've copied and saved it.

DS requested blackened scallops for tonight, so I'm giving the Blackened Sea Scallops with Creamy Corn Fettuccine from #71 a try. I'll let you know what we think of it. I'll probably serve some kind of simple salad as well.
  Re: Re: Summer Dinner - Tues, 7/6! by karyn (That Tomato Bread Pu...)
Oh my, Daph, that Tomato Bread Pudding sounds yummy. We have a couple of struggling tomato plants that hopefully will yield sometime, but not counting on it But so many people around here sell their garden produce, I'm surely going to get some. So, then this and the old standby, Stuffed Tomatoes, will be on the menu. Just must be patient
Cis
Empress for Life