Sharon's Knoephla Soup
  Re: (...)
I'm thinking Sharon's Knoephla Soup ought to have its own thread so it doesn't get lost - here tis:

Medina is a tiny town, 325 people. We've eaten twice at the local little bar - the second time we had this soup. OMG! This is German Russian food at it's best. It can be made with good chicken stock instead of the bouillon.

Knoephla Soup

1 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 cups water
3 Tbl. chicken base
1 bay leaf
4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 pint half and half or milk
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 small bag knoephla dumplings ( about 1 1/2 lbs.)

In a medium-sized soup kettle, saute onion in butter. Add
water, chicken base, bay leaf, potatoes, and knoephla. Bring
to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add milk or half
and half and seasonings, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Remove
bay leaf.

Makes 12 cups.

For those who prefer to make their own knoephla rather that
buy the frozen ones, this is how I do it.

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Mix above ingredients and cut into boiling soup.

and the thread we talked about this soup –

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post88777
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by cjs (I'm thinking Sharon'...)
Thank you Jean!

I tried a new recipe last night -

2 14 oz cans chicken broth (or a quart of homemade)
3 14 oz cans of water
5 med potatoes, peeled and diced
3 small carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 onion diced
1/2 stick butter
3 tbs. chicken base or bouillion
1 1/2 - 2 cups instant potato flakes
1 - 2 cups cream
fresh ground pepper and salt (?) to taste.

1/2 batch of knoephla dough (see other recipe)Cut the knoephla into 1/2" pieces and let set on a floured board.

In a large saucepan melt butter. Add potatoes and veggies and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to get tender crisp.

Add stock, water, and chicken base. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are soft.

Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the knoephla. Stir now and then to prevent sticking. Cook until the "buttons" are soft and fluffy.

Add potato flakes and stir until thickened. Add as much cream as you need to enrich the soup. Add the knoephla and simmer the soup over very low heat until thick.

Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

We like to slice cooked brats in the bottom of the soup bowl and ladle the soup over the top. It's not traditional, and the soup is wonderful all by itself, but we like the extra meat.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by Harborwitch (Thank you Jean![br][...)
Both recipes are copied and saved. Thanks for posting them. If it weren't going to be in the 90's for the foreseeable future, I'd be making Knoephla Soup (had to copy and paste that, 'cuz I can't spell or pronounce it) this weekend.

I think, however, I'll wait for a day when I'm not trying so hard to stay cool!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by karyn (Both recipes are cop...)
Which do you prefer, Sharon???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by cjs (Which do you prefer,...)
I think the second one was the best. We had unexpected company drop in so the soup sat with the knoephla in it for about an hour. It was thick, rich and wonderful!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by Harborwitch (I think the second o...)
I'm with karyn....it sounds great, but I'll have to wait for a day when it isn't so blessed hot! Maryann has NO idea what they're driving into down here. Her only saving grace will be an ocean breeze. At this time of year, the breezes are nice since the water is still relatively cool.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by Gourmet_Mom (I'm with karyn....it...)
"but I'll have to wait for a day when it isn't so blessed hot!" - crap, sigh, sadly we don't have to wait for that!!!
SUMMER IS NEVER GOING TO COME TO WASHINGTON!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by cjs ("but I'll have to wa...)
No kidding Jean. I am ready for some sunshine. One sunny day since May 14th! We are only registering 58 degrees! - That's the high for today folks!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Knoephla Soup by esgunn (No kidding Jean. I...)
It's 64 now, 95% humidity, and overcast. It rained 1 1/2" last night! At least it isn't blowing 30mph! (although a little breeze would be nice ) It's supposed to be about the same for the weekend.