Cuisine at home Forums
cake dilemia - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: cake dilemia (/showthread.php?tid=99501)

cake dilemia - Harborwitch - 04-22-2010

I found a lovely cake recipe - Vanilla Peach Cakes

The ingredients are:

Ingredients:
4 oz butter (I use salted)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 peach (canned)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Do you think it would be safe to double the recipe?????

Re: cake dilemia - cjs - 04-22-2010

You know me and baking/pastry, but...I sure can't see why not. I may have to try this also - later, 'cause we're just finishing up Rhubarb pie and no more desserts for a while.

Re: cake dilemia - Harborwitch - 04-22-2010

Thanks for the input. I was going to give it a try. Don't they sound good.

Directions

Vanilla Peach Cakes

Directions:
Combine 4 oz soft butter with 1/2 a cup sugar and beat until pale and creamy.

Add 1 egg (room-temperature), beat until fluffy. Pour in the vanilla extract, salt (1 tsp when using unsalted butter) and the remaining egg and beat until it’s all really smooth.

I have a confession to make: I keep forgetting to sieve the flour. But guess what, my cupcakes come out perfect regardless! Have we been duped all this time? Is sifting flour a completely superfluous action not to mention a total waste of time? That would really tick me off.
Add 1 cup self-rising flour and 1/2 a tsp baking powder and stir until just combined.
I went for canned peaches. Sue me. Finely mince 2 halves.

Stir in the peaches.

Line a standard muffin pan with cute liners. Yeah, I’m all for cuteness in baking. Fill them 2/3 of the way with the batter.

Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 350F (180C) for 15 to 20 minutes. Until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.

Note The batter was a little dry so I added 2 tbs of the syrup from the peaches.

The first batch of cupcakes came out a little flat on top. The second batch were more conical. We haven't tasted yet. I'm thinking a raspberry buttercream.

Re: cake dilemia - Lorraine - 04-22-2010

He says you can give it a try, but doubling is sometimes not recommended.

Re: cake dilemia - chef_Tab - 04-22-2010

I am so glad you added the directions! These sound so delicious. I love cupcakes. I usually freeze at least half and then can take one out at a time when I am feeling weak for sweets.

Re: cake dilemia - pjcooks - 04-22-2010

Probably a little late, but here's my 2 cents anyways. I would have no problem doubling this since it's a small recipe. I never sift my flour, it's presifted these days anyways, and just needs a little fluffing up. Were the two pans you made from one batch? I think the flat tops came from adding the extra sugar in the peach syrup, and the second conical ones came from the batter resting. Maybe? I'm no expert, just a thought.

I love the pretty lace cupcake wrappers, but they are so expensive. At my nephew's bridal shower (well, his now wife's) I baked them in purple foil cupcake papers. Then I made wrappers from some paper doilies. They were so pretty.

Sounds like a great recipe, thank you for posting it!

PJ

Re: cake dilemia - Harborwitch - 04-22-2010

PJ you're right about the extra sugar, I think. Perhaps a bit of milk???? An extra egg??????

I got a dozen and a half + 1 cupcakes. I used a buttercream recipe from Gail Gand and used raspberry extract instead of vanilla + a bit of food coloring to get a bit of a pink tint. I'm dying to stuff one of these in my face.

I use the unbleached paper cups. I suppose if they were for a special occasion or a gift I'd have looked for some fancier ones.

Re: cake dilemia - pjcooks - 04-22-2010

I'd go with the milk, or even water.

I've never seen unbleached cupcake liners. My "green" son would love those. Where did you find them? Guess I need to go online, shipping charges would be less than going into the city (Boston).

PJ

Re: cake dilemia - Harborwitch - 04-23-2010

I think King Arthur Flour or Kitchen Krafts - I know it was online. They weren't expensive.

Re: cake dilemia - pjcooks - 04-23-2010

Thanks, Sharon, will check it out. He's moving into his own app't (finally!!)
and will finally get to do everything his way-the green way-and no doubt, he'll be successful!

Two down and counting

PJ