Cuisine at home Forums
Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? (/showthread.php?tid=99290)

Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - cjs - 04-19-2010

What's up with you all?

I have no idea yet.

Edited to ask - where the heck did 4/10 come from????? Sorry (again) - maybe someone else who can read a calendar should do these threads.

Plus, it written right below when I type this up....

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - Harborwitch - 04-19-2010

I've got a salmon fillet in the freezer - so I think that'll be dinner. Maybe I'll drag out the indoor grill????

Anything left over get's mixed with canned salmon for salmon patties.

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - luvnit - 04-19-2010

That is my dilema this morning. I have no idea yet either. Guess I will take a trip to the freezer and see what looks good. Grilling something sounds really good.

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - chef_Tab - 04-19-2010

Since this will be one of our last coolish days I am making a pork roast with gravy and spaetzle. The apartment doesn't have air conditioning so I doubt I will use the oven much once the temperatures rise. Older daughter is coming back for a few weeks in between travels and she loves spaetzle. Roasted brussel sprouts on the side. I just love those.

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - karyn - 04-19-2010

Theresa, I've never made or eaten spatzle, but I've always wanted to. Even when we were in Germany last summer I never found it on a menu, which I thought was a bit odd. Do you have a T&T recipe? It's something I'd really like to give a try.

I think I'm going to grill a flank steak and potatoes. I'll probably add a salad for some greens, too.

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - Gourmet_Mom - 04-19-2010

I took off today to go to the doctor to get back some test results. Red Yeast Rice did the trick to bring my cholestoral down, so I don't have to get on something for that. And lucky me, still a little cool, but another beautiful afternoon on the deck. Who wants to do housework on a pretty day?

After looking at my list to try, I'm stuck. The two things up next on the menu are the Mu Su Beef Wraps and the Marinated Pork Tenderloin that Jean posted long ago (Although, I'll probably switch out the Lacquered Short rib sauce here), but I don't think I have ginger root, unless I find some in the bottom of the veggie drawer. SOOOOO, I guess it's Italian Sausage Ragu with Penne and a Tomato Vinaigrette Salad. (I wanna say this is from the Perfect Pasta book, but I'm not sure.)

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - cjs - 04-19-2010

I was just coming back on to see why you weren't at work - congrats on the cholesterol.

Just found my last recpt. from Costco - 1.5 lbs./$25.99

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - Gourmet_Mom - 04-19-2010

I'll be checking it out. I think I got a similar amount for around 15 at Sam's a couple of months ago, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the info. It was such a pretty day the last time I went to the city, I wanted to rush home and didn't visit Costco to comparison shop. I'll make sure I do next time.

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - farnfam - 04-19-2010

These from foodgawker:
http://naturallyella.com/2010/04/18/bbq-and-pineapple-turkey-burgers/

Re: Monday, 4/10 - What's for Dinner? - chef_Tab - 04-19-2010

Karyn, spaetzle is a regional dish in Germany, so perhaps it wasn't available where you were. My mom was German and I learned to make it from watching her, there really was no recipe. I know Jean makes them too so she might have an actual recipe to share. To me this is one of those recipes that it really helps to watch someone first, mostly to know the thickness of the dough. Here is my take on it:

This would be plenty for 4 people
4 cups all purpose flour
8 eggs
salt
water

put your flour in a large mixing bowl. add the salt, I would guess about a teaspoon, but I just pour it on. add the eggs and beat with a big wooden spoon. The dough will be very stiff. Start adding water a bit at a time so and keep beating until the dough is smooth and elastic. You probably shouldn't need more than 1/2 cup water, if that. I taste the dough at this point and add salt if needed.
Push the dough through the spaetzle machine into a pot of boiling salted water. When the spaetzle rise to the top, they are done and can be scooped out and placed on a platter.

I have several styles of spaetzle machines. I have read some people use potato ricers, and some press the dough through a colander. Sorry I am not a bigger help here. If you lived closer, we could do it together.