Cuisine at home Forums
OT - but a little local "food color" - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: OT - but a little local "food color" (/showthread.php?tid=99001)

OT - but a little local "food color" - Harborwitch - 04-12-2010

When Bob and I were in Bismarck the last time we tried this restaurant. The commercials have been cracking us up since we've been here. I thought Id share the link to share them with you.

The "ladies" all work in the Fargo store - so alas some of the color was missing

Sit down & eat!

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - mjkcooking - 04-12-2010

Sharon - What great commercials tipical Midwestern -

Enjoyed the laughs.

What is Knoephla Soup?

Marye

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - DFen911 - 04-13-2010

Ok loving these commercials How was the food Sharon?

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - Harborwitch - 04-13-2010

Denise the food was pretty good. Typical Midwestern.

Marye every time we stop somewhere that has knoephla soup we have to try it, they're all a little different.

Knoepla are little dumplings (I think I posted a recipe for this soup) that are cooked in water until fluffy and then added to a creamy soup made with lots of potatoes, some carrots and celery, and usually seasoned with chicken base.

The soups will vary from place to place. Saturday we had a knoephla soup that was had lots of onion bits, really creamy, huge dumplings, and not so chicken basey. At Krolls the dumplings were perfect pillows of wonderful - the soup was a bit thinner, and lots and lots of chicken base. Our first bowl was here in Medina - the knoephla were smaller, firmer, and the soup was thick and creamy.

Next time we go I'm trying this:

Home of Beef Fleischkuechle 7.50
Seasoned hamburger, wrapped inside pastry and deep-fried,
served with choice of soup, salad, fries or cottage cheese.

It's funny - wherever you go most people start with a bowl of knoephla soup - not a cup. It's the national food of North Dakota I think - even a table full of teenagers at Krolls had bowls of knoephla soup, milk shakes, and onion rings for lunch!!! Skinny little things.

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - farnfam - 04-13-2010

How cute is that!! Really loved the out-takes too

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - cjs - 04-13-2010

"Seasoned hamburger, wrapped inside pastry and deep-fried," - oh my Lord!!! Gotta try this when next in your neighborhood!!!!!

Crap, Roy's still in bed, so I'll look at this later with sound up - bet it's a riot! When will Guy find this place???

Well, he finally got up - Sharon, what a riot that is! Right up there with the E Trade babies.

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - Harborwitch - 04-13-2010

I gather the LOL's actually work in the Fargo store - I'm dying to go; it would be worth the trip.

I'll try that next time we go to Bismarck - then when you come out to visit I'll have figured out how to make them. It just sounds so decadent!

Maybe someone should suggest this place to Guy!?????

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - DFen911 - 04-13-2010

If you go be sure to take a camera and put it on video mode for a bit just have something live What a fun trip that would be.

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - HomeCulinarian - 04-13-2010

That's silly. We have a few car dealers around here who think they're comedians and do hokey commercials.

Re: OT - but a little local "food color" - pjcooks - 04-13-2010

PJ