Cuisine at home Forums
Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy (/showthread.php?tid=97801)

Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - Harborwitch - 03-23-2010

We had the leftovers of this last night for dinner - and it was even better than the first night.

The true delight of this meal was the fact that so much could be done ahead - the meat marinates overnight in an incredibly flavored mixture. The gingersnaps in the gravy were fantastic.

Only change I would make would be to use a different cut of meat - perhaps not so lean. My Mom made this with a whole cut of meat, not chunks - perhaps that's why I remember her Sauerbraten as being moister????

All in all Bob gave this a 10++++++. I served it with red cabbage sauteed with bacon and onions, and buttered noodles with lots of fresh parsley. I'd give it a good solid 9.6

If anyone needs the recipe I can type it in.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - cjs - 03-23-2010

I was just going to ask for the recipe Sharon, we're still getting Sauerbraten kinda days, so it would be great to make this.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - Harborwitch - 03-23-2010

Do you have the Slow Cooker Menus book?

I can type it in if you don't. Yummy stuff.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - karyn - 03-23-2010

Thanks so much for the review! I've been really curious about that one. I think it's going on the menu for next week.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - cjs - 03-23-2010

Oh, I didn't realize that's where it came from - Yes, I do. Thanks Sharon.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - luvnit - 03-23-2010

Sharon, I don't have that recipe, but I wonder if it's close to this one. Or just tell me what the changes are. I wanna make this by Friday.

Sauerbraten with Gingersnap gravy

One of Germany's best known dishes is sauerbraten or "sour roast." Marinating produces a tender roast with the typical sweet and sour taste.

Ingredients:
3cups water
.1cup cider vinegar
.1onion, thinly sliced
.3tablespoons brown sugar
.1-1/2teaspoons salt
.1teaspoon ground ginger
.1teaspoon whole allspice
.1teaspoon whole cloves
.1/2teaspoon juniper berries
.2cloves garlic, crushed
.1beef rump roast (about 4 pounds)
.2tablespoons vegetable oil
.2tablespoons all-purpose flour
.1/4cup crushed gingersnaps

Preparation:
1.To prepare marinade, bring water and vinegar to a boil in large saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat; add onion, sugar, salt, ginger, allspice, cloves, juniper berries and garlic. Cool slightly.

2.Place roast in large glass bowl or large resealable food storage bag; pour marinade over roast. Cover or seal bag; refrigerate at least 8 hours, turning occasionally.

3.Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. To braise roast, add marinade to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours until fork-tender. Remove roast from Dutch oven; set aside.

4.Strain braising liquid through fine-meshed sieve into large bowl; discard spices and onion. Skim fat from braising liquid with spoon; discard. Measure 2 cups braising liquid; discard remaining braising liquid. Place 1-1/2 cups liquid in Dutch oven. Place flour in small bowl; gradually whisk remaining 1/2 cup braising liquid into flour. Stir mixture into liquid in Dutch oven. Add gingersnaps; mix well. Bring to a boil.

5.Return roast to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes until flavors blend and sauce thickens. Slice roast and serve with thickened sauce.

Similar.

Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy

1 1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
8 whole juniper berries
4 whole allspice berries
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ea. whole mustard seed & ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. whole cloves
4 lb boneless beef bottom round roast, trimmed and cut into 2" chunks
2 TBS quick cooking tapioca
Kosher salt & black pepper
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 c. water
8 gingersnap cookies, finely crushed.

Combine vinegar, wine, onion, carrot, celery, juniper, allspice,bay leaves, 2 tsp salt, pepper, mustard seed, and cloves in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Completely cool marinade and pour over beef in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap (or bag) and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Remove beef from marinade (some vegetables & seasoning will cling to the meat), pat dry with paper towels.

Whisk tapioca into the marinade and pour into a 6 to 8 qt slow cooker.

Season beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear beef in oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat until browned, 10 minutes.

Transfer beef to the slow cooker. Deglaze the saute pan with 1/2 c water scraping up browned bits; transfer liquid to slow cooker. Cover, cook on high heat setting for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-7 hours. Add crushed gingersnaps when about 30 minutes cooking time is left. Transfer beef to a serving dish. Strain gravy, discarding the solids. Pour gravy over sauerbraten.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - Gourmet_Mom - 03-23-2010

Thanks for the review, Sharon. This does sound good. Juniper berries and allspice berries are still an illusive product around here. I'll keep looking. I hope I find them soon. There are a number of venison recipes I'd like to try that call for juniper berries.

One word - Penzeys. They have both. That reminds me - have to place an order, I'm out of a few things.

Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy - Gourmet_Mom - 03-23-2010

You know...I don't know why I keep putting off making an order from there. It's on my "To Do" List for Easter Break. Good idea, Sharon.