Cuisine at home Forums
The Scallion Pancakes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: The Scallion Pancakes (/showthread.php?tid=95170)

The Scallion Pancakes - cjs - 01-31-2010

I guess I'm the last one to make the pancakes, but there is an error in Labs printing of the recipe-

Scallion Pancakes
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (not 1 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) toasted sesame seeds
2 cups (16 ounces) boiling water
2 to 3 bunches (5 to 6 ounces total) scallions, thinly sliced (use all but the very ends of the green)

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the boiling water, stirring till everything is well-combined, then stir in the sliced scallions.

Heat a griddle or skillet until a drop of water skitters across the surface. Grease it lightly with vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray. Using a generous 1/4 cup for each pancake, drop the batter onto the hot griddle, spreading it out a bit as you do. Cook each pancake until it's browned and set at the edges before turning it over to finish cooking. Place the cakes on a baking sheet in a 300°F oven to keep them warm until you're ready to serve them. Or cool them on a rack, and reheat them in the oven or on a griddle. Cut the cakes into triangles, and serve them with the stew. Yield: 1 dozen 3 1/2-inch pancakes.

----
Bless his heart, Billy screwed up the recipe when he typed it up. I couldn't figure how they called for 1 cup of flour and it was going to weight 8 1/2 oz..... doesn't compute

Anyway, I've got the right amounts now.

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - chef_Tab - 01-31-2010

nice catch Jean! We will keep you around. Who cares if you usually don't know what day it is.

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-31-2010

"Who cares if you usually don't know what day it is." When I retire, I'm not going to CARE what day it is!

Regarding the pancakes...I knew something wasn't right, but I thought it was the amount of scallion. Normally, when weights are given, I will weigh it out...the scale was right there. Oh well!

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - labradors - 01-31-2010

LOL! I never even noticed, since I copied and pasted the recipe from the King-Arthur website, rather than what Billy had typed, for better formatting.

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - luvnit - 01-31-2010

I haven't even heard of these yet! Very interesting. My hubby is also a HUGE fan of scallions.

Now in the recipe it says to serve with 'the stew'. Is there a recipe for that?

These are definitely on the list of things to cook!

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-31-2010

This is part of Lab's Birthday Dinner Review up tomorrow. It goes with the Asian-Spiced Pork Stew .

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - labradors - 01-31-2010

Better get cracking, Laura: the review is due tomorrow! LOL!

Re: The Scallion Pancakes - cjs - 02-01-2010

Oh, that's funny, Theresa!!

I'm sure glad I don't have to keep quiet long - hurry up Labs, it's 5:55 a.m. on review day!