Cuisine at home Forums
Fingerling potatoes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Fingerling potatoes (/showthread.php?tid=95070)

Fingerling potatoes - foodfiend - 01-29-2010

I found these in Sam's, and they looked so cute (a mix of tan-skin and red-skin) that even though we don't eat a lot of white potatoes I just had to buy them.

Tonight I roasted a chicken and also roasted some of the fingerlings. They were delicious.

What next? Does anyone have any ideas in addition to roasting (with olive oil, garlic, s&p) as I did tonight, and I also found a recipe for pan-roasting with dill.

It was a 5-lb bag. One down (made enough for leftovers), four to go...

Re: Fingerling potatoes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-30-2010

I think Jean has a short ribs recipe with fingerling potatoes....if that helps.

Like you, I found the fingerlings at Sam's over Christmas...forgot all about it! I had other potato plans, so I didn't buy them then. Weather permitting, I'll pick up a bag tomorrow when I get to Sam's....finally! That Sam's list is growing a little large.

Then I can watch this thread to see what we BOTH can do with them!

Re: Fingerling potatoes - chef_Tab - 01-30-2010

I am having a touch of CRS, or possibly the effects of the Chocovine combined with some Meyers Dark Rum on ice....yum......but I vaguely remember recently seeing a recipe where you put the fingerlings in a plastic bag and coarsely crush with a meat mallet, and then pan fry. It sounded good to me and made me think of these fried potatoes my mom used to make with onions. I could make a meal of just those potatoes. I will have to check my computer history to see where this came from.

Re: Fingerling potatoes - foodfiend - 01-30-2010

Quote:

I am having a touch of CRS, or possibly the effects of the Chocovine combined with some Meyers Dark Rum on ice....

My eyes blur...

Re: Fingerling potatoes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-30-2010

I don't think it was here. I would remember that....I think.

Re: Fingerling potatoes - cjs - 01-30-2010

Those little fingerlings are so good!! The smallest ones, I love to just toss with (as you mentioned) a little butter/oil, minced garlic, s&P in a skillet. Like eating candy.

That does sound familiar, Daphne....

Re: Fingerling potatoes - Cubangirl - 01-31-2010

We get the little fingerling bags at TJ's, perfect for 2 and only 5 minutes in the microwave. After they are cooked (in the bag) I slice them in half and toss them with a little truffle oil and one of Penzeys' mixtures, fox point or herbes de provence or others depending on my mood. So good and easy. In the summer I use minced fresh whatever.

Re: Fingerling potatoes - - 01-31-2010

Theresa, that sounds like a recipe that I have seen where you crush them then fry them with rosemary. I think I will try to find that one - I think it was just called "cracked potatoes" -

Re: Fingerling potatoes - - 01-31-2010

This is the one that I remembered for the fingerlings and it is so good with the rosemary!

From SparkRecipes: Submitted by Foodiewife

1 pound of very small potatoes--I prefer fingerling potatoes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
fresh chopped thyme or rosemary, to taste
kosher salt & pepper, to taste
1 thinly sliced or minced large garlic clove(optional)

This recipe is fast and easy. Technique is what's important:
Set each potato on a hard surface and give it one sharp whack-- I use the smooth side of my meat pounder, or you can use a rolling pin. You want to see a small crack (or fissure). Don't whack the potato too hard!

Bring the olive oil to a medium high heat; add potatoes, salt & pepper and herbs.

Cover with a lid, and shake the pan back and forth to coat the potatoes with olive oil.
Turn the heat to a medium/low and allow to cook for about 20 minutes, or until a knife inserts easily.

Shake the pan every few minutes, to brown the potatoes.

In the last few minutes, add the fresh garlic and shake.

Remove the lid for 2-3 more minutes to allow moisture to evaporate.

Delicious!

Number of Servings: 4

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 96.2
Total Fat: 6.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 584.0 mg
Total Carbs: 7.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 1.1 g