Cuisine at home Forums
ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (/showthread.php?tid=94300)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - DFen911 - 01-14-2010

Ok I know this right up someone's ally (glances over at Jean) and I need some insight.

I've eaten it but never prepared it. So I need tips on buying and cooking.

A savory recipe with hint of sweetness would be wonderful. Oh and recommended side dishes. Since this is going to be a fatty dish I'm thinking fresh greens and a nice bread for a carb instead of rice or potatoes?

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - cjs - 01-14-2010

Denise, I've found pork belly is so rich, I only serve it as an hors or a small plate offering.

My two favorite ways I'll post here and I usually love to serve it with rice, it seems to absorb some of the richness.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Five-spice roast pork belly

1/4 cup Chinese soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 pounds pork belly -- at least 50% lean

1. Make the marinade by mixing the soy sauce, sugar and five-spice powder in a bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the sesame oil. Place the pork belly in a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over it. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning occasionally.

2. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pierce holes every inch through the pork skin with a metal skewer. Place it skin side up on a rack set over a baking dish, containing about one-half inch of water. Roast until dark golden and crispy, about 1 hour, basting the top (skin) side with the soy sauce mixture every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice lengthwise with a serrated knife.

Description:
"Adapted from "Essentials of Asian Cuisine" by Corinne Trang"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Recipe By:Russ Parsons Copyright © 2007, The Los Angeles Times

-----

Lorraine's Pork Belly

I marinated it for a few days in brown sugar, salt, cumin, coriander, and cardamon. I rinsed it off, dried it well, put it on a rack in a pan. Added about 1 1/4 cups water, and 1/4 cup of soya to the pan, covered tightly in foil, and cooked it at about 300 -325 for 2 hours. Took the foil off, added water/soya as needed to keep liquid in the pan, and roasted for about about 2 hours. By this time, the skin was crispy, and the meet melt in your mouth.

Slow Roasted Belly of Pork with Hoisin Sauce*****

4 lbs Belly pork
1 3/4 ozs Salt
1 3/4 ozs Sugar
1/2 Jar Hoisin sauce

Pierce the skin of the pork with a sharp knife and rub salt into the skin.

Turn the belly pork over and rub the underside with Hoisin sauce and sugar.

Cover the meat with a clean cloth and place in a refrigerator overnight to marinate.

Heat your oven to approx 200C ( 375F.) and cook pork for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to 180C (170C in a fan assisted oven) (295-300F. and cook for a further 2 hours.

Allow to stand before chopping pork up into pieces.

Serve with soy noodles or Jasmine rice.

Description:
"Especially created for the Hilton Hotel Restaurants.
NOTES : Pork belly is one of the nicest cuts of meat if cooked correctly, the fat melts away and you are left with delicious roast pork and plenty of crackling.
Choose a joint that has a better proportion of meat to fat.

-----

Those three are probably our favorites. As to buying it, at our QFC, the case comes with 3 whole pork bellys - each weighing about 8-10#. Because they order especially for me, I take the whole case and cut them in quarters, ~2 lb. pieces each.

2 lbs. is a good size for either cooking whole, cutting in serving size pieces (as some recipes call for), or using to cure bacon.

Denise, they are so fun to play with. One thing to remember also, some recipe call for the rind to be cut off before cooking/roasting/braising/etc., be sure to hang on to the skin before and/or after cooking, it is so great to add to beans, soups, stews, cassoulets....

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 01-14-2010

I still haven't gotten my hands on one! I will say we really enjoyed the Slow Roasted Belly of Pork with Hoisin Sauce recipe using a Boston Butt. William wants me to make it again.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Old Bay - 01-14-2010

Quote:

Ok I know this right up someone's ally (glances over at Jean) and I need some insight.

I've eaten it but never prepared it. So I need tips on buying and cooking.

A savory recipe with hint of sweetness would be wonderful. Oh and recommended side dishes. Since this is going to be a fatty dish I'm thinking fresh greens and a nice bread for a carb instead of rice or potatoes?

PORCHETTA
This was in Saveur this month. Never tried anything like this, h-ll, I've never seen anything like this--maybe Jean has---

3T lemon zest
2T crushed fennel seeds
12 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Mix these ingredients in a small bowl.
1 12-14lb skin on pork belly
1 3-5 lb trimmed pork loin.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1& 1/2t baking soda

1.Lay pork belly skin side down with a long edge parallel to you. Arrange the pork loin along center, widthwise. Trim away overhanging ends of loin. 2. Trim belly so that it can be wrapped completely around pork loin with a 2" overlap by trimming away meat and fat, but not skin, of a 2" belly strip to create a thin flap of skin. It will help seal roast when rolled. 3. Make 1/2" deep slashes all over inside of belly. Rub belly and loin with garlic mixture, add salt and pepper to taste. 4. Return loin to center of belly. Wrap belly around loin, sealing it with skin flap. 5. Tie roast at 1" intervals. Wrap roast with plastic wrap and then with foil. (It says the plastic wrap will not melt.)
6. Refrigerate the roast, fully wrapped, for one to three days. 7. Transfer meat still wrapped, to a rimmed baking sheet with a rack. Let come to room temp., about 2 hrs. Heat oven to 325 and arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven. Cook porchetta until an instant read thermometer inserted into center reads 130, about 3 hrs. Remove from oven, remove foil & plastic wrap from roast and pat dry. Rub baking soda on skin. Set oven to broil and continue cooking porchetta, turning frequently, until skin is crisp all over, about 20 min. Slice and serve. Good with Gamays, also try with the current 09' Beaujolais Nouveau.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - cjs - 01-14-2010

Oh good Lord, Bill - doesn't that sound fantastic!!! Makes a horrendous amount, think I'll put the recipe in the trailer and bring it with us when we come to Texas! You willing to try it then? Between the four of us we ought to be able to wrap that belly around the loin. How fun.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 01-14-2010

Porchetta...where have I seen this word lately?

Bill, you're killing me! Sounds darn good, though! This is on the list for this summer...surely I can find a pork belly source by then!

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Harborwitch - 01-14-2010

Grab Jean & Roy, the recipe, some pork belly and come on up - I can get the pork loin and have lots of room for RV's and company. I'm dying to make this, saw it on FTV recently and somewhere I saw a special pan to cook it in!

Goodness it sounds good.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Old Bay - 01-15-2010

Quote:

Oh good Lord, Bill - doesn't that sound fantastic!!! Makes a horrendous amount, think I'll put the recipe in the trailer and bring it with us when we come to Texas! You willing to try it then? Between the four of us we ought to be able to wrap that belly around the loin. How fun.

You bet!!! Something to look forward to. You better bring the pork belly because I don't think I've ever seen one around here. I'll furnish the loin. Great plan!!

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - cjs - 01-15-2010

You're on!! (and it is tacked on the wall in the trailer)

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - DFen911 - 01-15-2010

Oh my thank you guys!! I am so looking forward to doing this