Cuisine at home Forums
storing baklava? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: storing baklava? (/showthread.php?tid=91868)

storing baklava? - foodfiend - 12-08-2009

I have to get this stuff out of my immediate area!

I will be using about a third of the tray this weekend, but the rest has to stay "giftable" through the end of next week. Should I freeze it? Or wrap tightly and put in a cool place? And, if freezing, should each piece be wrapped separately?

Re: storing baklava? - cjs - 12-08-2009

hmmmm, I'm thinking flavor wise, it would be o.k. to freeze baklava, but I don't think the phyllo would be crisp as it thaws out.

You've already made it? If not, maybe you could freeze it already prepped and bake at the last minute?

Re: storing baklava? - Dismc - 12-08-2009

I freeze baklava all the time. I use the foodsaver for freshness, but If you don't have one, just wrap tightly and freeze. There's no loss of texture or crispness. One of my favorite things to make a big batch of and freeze.

Re: storing baklava? - cjs - 12-08-2009

'There's no loss of texture or crispness.' - Wow, that's amazing! I'm glad you saw this, Shannon.

Re: storing baklava? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-08-2009

Who woulda thunk? Thanks for the info on the phyllo freezing Shannon!

Re: storing baklava? - foodfiend - 12-08-2009

Thanks Shannon! It has been screaming at me for 2 days now. Once in the freezer, it's little voice will be muffled...

It's actually called Choclava, from this month's Cooking Light, and has Nutella between the layers. I think I'll keep a few pieces out for our anniversary dinner on Thursday.

Re: storing baklava? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-08-2009

My parents got married over the Christmas holiday! Happy Anniversary Vicci and Jack! Hey Vicci, I think you've got the willpower of Hercules! I hope you two have a GREAT anniversary! You ARE going to post pics...right?

Re: storing baklava? - cjs - 12-09-2009

Happy (early) Anniversary, Vicci!