Cuisine at home Forums
french green bean question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: french green bean question (/showthread.php?tid=91000)

french green bean question - chef_Tab - 11-24-2009

One of my Thanksgiving duties this year is to make a green bean casserole. I bought 4 pounds of french green beans. They came in two pound bags that say "triple washed" on the front. The cooking directions say to drop the beans into boiling water and never mention trimming. I noticed one end of the bean has stem on it, now should I remove that?

Re: french green bean question - cjs - 11-24-2009

Personally, I would go through all the beans and rinse, pop off the stem end myself. There are liable to be beans you don't want included in the pan also. Always good to go thru them individually.

Re: french green bean question - chef_Tab - 11-24-2009

Thanks, Jean, I always wash everything anyway, because I am so paranoid. Just wasn't sure if that little stem was normally left on.

Re: french green bean question - Old Bay - 11-24-2009

We blanche and put in ice water before building the dish for the oven--do you? I think it keeeps it greener.

Re: french green bean question - chef_Tab - 11-24-2009

Yes,Bill, those are the directions. I am using a recipe from C@H holiday menus cookbook. It sounds so good, I am looking forward to trying it myself. I expect to get some "turned up noses" from neices and nephews because of the mushrooms. More for the rest of us!

Re: french green bean question - esgunn - 11-24-2009

Theresa, please respond back on how you like it. I have seen that one and wondered.