Cuisine at home Forums
Cooking Books for Christmas - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cooking Books for Christmas (/showthread.php?tid=89716)

Cooking Books for Christmas - mjkcooking - 11-04-2009

Is it to early to make a list of some cook books you are wanting for
Christmas?

I would like a book of Nigella to start. and Ina Garten books are good too.

and perhaps a East Indian cook book .

Marye

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - labradors - 11-04-2009

Since the list of books I have with me, here, doesn't change that much, my list would be the same as it has for the last couple years: Culinary Artistry or The Flavor Bible. Maybe one of these days...

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Gourmet_Mom - 11-05-2009

I want to look at the James Beard books, that is at the top of my list after last Christmas's gifts. There are a few appy books that have been tossed out here that I was interested in, but I'll have to get back with you.

I lost my old list when my hard drive crashed, so I'll have to do a search on here to retrieve the titles....I'll get back to this later.

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Lorraine - 11-16-2009

I was reading through a Bon Appetit magazine, and they reviewed a book called "My Bread" by Jim Lahey. He's the man who came up with the "18 hour bread". I have to get this one. A friend lent me "Southern Cooking" by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock. Another one I'd like to have.

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - cjs - 11-16-2009

My list is 'on the mainland' - doesn't that sound just so pretentious??? I'll add my ideas later in the week. Thanks for starting this, Marye - it certainly is time.

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Roxanne 21 - 11-16-2009

Anything to add to my "Beautiful" series is always welcomed

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Dismc - 11-16-2009

I'm pathetic. Went early Christmas shopping today and came home with Ina Garten's Back to Basics for myself. Also a box of 3 silpat mats from Costco. As I said, pathetic.

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Gourmet_Mom - 11-16-2009

Some of these are from last year's list (Close to order by preference):

-Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Ruhlman, Polcyn, and Keller (This one is a must have if I don't get any other. If I don't have the right one, somebody please tell me.)
-Fast Food My Way by Jacques Pepin (I have the second one and love it.)
-Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home by Julia Child and Jacques Pepin (I'v heard this is the best one, if I can't get her Mastering the Art)
-Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson (Jean has mentioned so many successes with this one and I have another of her books and love it.)
-Delights and Prejudices by James Beard (I would LOVE to have another biography to enjoy...it's been a while.)
-Bite Size: Elegant recipes for Entertaining (Francois Payard) (We DO love our appy dinners.)
-Cooking by James Peterson (I have heard from many, this is a must have. I have his sauces book and LOVE it!)
-Epicurean Delight - The Life and Times Of James Beard by Judith Jones
-Love and Kisses and a Halo Of Truffles ; Letters To Helen Evans Brown by James Beard (Lorraine recommended these two last year. I do love my biographies.)
-Asian Tapas ; Small bites, Big Flavours (Alain Ducasse) (Another appy delight)
-Sushi Made Easy, Nobuko Tsuda (I would really like to have fun with this, but would be willing to wait for Mother's Day on this one, so I can play over summer!)

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - Cubangirl - 11-17-2009

You will love Ina's Back to Basics. I am making the company Pot Roast tonight (to have tomorrow) if I ever get off the computer. Silpats at Costco, hmm, maybe a trip tomorrow.
I am so trying to be good since I still have 3 cookbooks I have not even opened once yet. But I really want the new Thomas Keller Ad Hoc at Home. I hate putting on a list and have folks pay more when I can get it for $12.95 at BONC2. Decisions, Decisions.

Re: Cooking Books for Christmas - cjs - 11-17-2009

"want the new Thomas Keller Ad Hoc at Home." Hello??? Didn't know he had a new one out.