Cuisine at home Forums
Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - CORRECTED - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - CORRECTED (/showthread.php?tid=89078)

Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - CORRECTED - cjs - 10-26-2009

Hope it's o.k. to make a separate post for your b'day menu, Lorraine - I was afraid it was going to get lost.

Lorraine: Sorry to be late getting back, we've been having major computer woes. Not sure if many of you have tried these recipes, but I'd like to make these from the Soups, Stews & Chili magazine:

Winter Pork Stew
Fall Fruit Salad
Cheddar Jonnycakes

and here is the dessert Lorraine wanted -

LEMON TART WITH ALMOND CRUST MAKES ONE 9" TART
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR + CHILLING

FOR THE ALMOND CRUST - PROCESS:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt (check your recipe - the amount could be wrong! s/b 1/4 tsp.)

PULSE IN:
6 T. unsalted butter, cold,
Cubed
1/2 t. almond extract

ADD; PULSE TO BLEND:
3-5 T. ice water

FOR THE LEMON TART FILLlNG¬See below

Process first four ingredients in processor fitted with steel blade until they resemble coarse sand. Pulse in butter and extract until butter is the size of peas.

Add ice water; pulse to incorpo¬rate (add more water I T. at a time if dough seems dry). Dump dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, form into a disk, wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

Preheat oven to 425° with rack in lower third; spray a 9" tart pan with removable bottom with nonstick spray. Roll out dough, place it in the pan, trim, then freeze. Prebake in lower third of oven 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Reduce heat to 325°.

LEMON TART FILLING Gently cooking the filling will help achieve the silky texture you want. Stir constantly as it cooks.
MAKES ABOUT 2 CuPs

WHISK:
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained (4-5 large lemons)
2 T. lemon zest (3 lemons)
Pinch salt

ADD:
6 T. unsalted butter, cubed

Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, lemon juice, zest, and salt together in a large saucepan.

Add the butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring con¬stantly. Cook until filling thickens slightly but is pourable, 8-10 min. Strain filling through a fine mesh strainer into the prebaked crust.

Bake tart at 325F. until filling is just set, about 10 min. Cool tart before removing the sides and transferring to a serving platter.

Misc. [Email]C@H[/Email] notes: (I don't see why they can't add these kind of notes to the recipe!!!)

“It’s critical to chill the dough.

Roll out to 14” circle.

The crust can be either hot or cool when lemon filling is added.

Cook filling just until it thickens to a consistency of loosely whipped cream. Stir constantly and don’t let filling boil – the eggs may scramble.

Test doneness of the tart (in the oven) by lightly touching the center with your fingertip – it should jiggle, & some filling may stick to your finger. If filling is firm or ‘bouncy,’ it is overdone. Don't worry too much if this happens-the tart will taste fine, but the texture will be a bit firm.

Be sure the tart cools complete¬ly before removing it from the pan and slicing. I know you'd like to dig right in, but if you do, the filling will be too soft and the tart won’t slice neatly.

As an added bonus, this can be made, chilled, then served the next day, or even frozen. I can attest to the fact that it tastes great straight from the freezer, but for the best flavor, it really should come to room temperature first.”

--------

All reviews for November b'days will be due Monday, Dec. 7th (the first Monday in December). O.K. with everyone??

THEN we can start nagging Marye, Cis, & Laura (and Sophie, if she is around ) Maybe we can all make a dinner dedicated to Billy on the 9th of Dec.??

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - Mare749 - 10-26-2009

"All reviews for November b'days will be due Monday, Dec. 7th (the first Monday in December). O.K. with everyone??"

I've marked my calendar.

"Maybe we can all make a dinner dedicated to Billy on the 9th of Dec.??"

This is a really great idea. I suggest the chicken roullade recipe that he raved about and maybe Sugarbrown Mama's banana cake?

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - cjs - 10-26-2009

I'd love to make both of those again, Maryann!

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - Lorraine - 10-27-2009

Thanks, Jean. Maryann, I think that's a great idea. I've been wanting to make the chicken roulade for ages.

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - cjs - 10-27-2009

I don't think Lorraine and I stopped talking about that dinner for weeks!!

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - Gourmet_Mom - 10-27-2009

I'm definitely in on the roulades! We LOVE that recipe!

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - Mare749 - 10-31-2009

This is such a fun menu, I wanted to bring it back up to the top for anyone who may have missed it.

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - labradors - 11-01-2009

Am I missing something? The only recipe I see posted for Lorraine's dinner is the Lemon Tart.

There are a number of messages on the site about the Winter Pork Stew, from when people have tried it before, but no recipe.

The Fall Fruit Salad and Cheddar Jonnycakes (tried searching that way AND with the otherwise-missing H) appear nowhere else in the forum, except in the two threads about Lorraine's dinner, and never as recipes.

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - chef_Tab - 11-01-2009

Rob, I will start typing up the the winter pork stew recipe, and then the fall fruit salad and cheddar johnny cakes.

I am confused by what the other b'day dinners are. Seems all I know about is Lorraine's. I keep thinking my brain is totally shot.

Re: Lorraine's Birthday Dinner for Review - cjs - 11-01-2009

Don't know what's confusing about Lorraine's B'day menu - here it is:

"Lorraine: Sorry to be late getting back, we've been having major computer woes. Not sure if many of you have tried these recipes, but I'd like to make these from the Soups, Stews & Chili magazine:

Winter Pork Stew
Fall Fruit Salad
Cheddar Jonnycakes
LEMON TART WITH ALMOND CRUST

She mentioned she didn't have the recipe for the tart, so I posted it, but no one has mentioned needing the other recipes, so haven't done them. All that's needed is to ask for them and they get posted. Thanks for working on them, Theresa.

Jeanette was going to wait till the new issue gets to her to choose her dinner. Barbara chose the lasagne. If I have time today, I'll go look for where she posted her choices and make a separate thread (or someone else can do it )

And then, we'll all be on track.